This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82061 May 22nd, 2005 at 09:01 PM
OP Offline
Howdy folks. Thanks for all of your help getting me started. Today I went out and took a bunch of pictures of garden mysteries. I really appreciate your help in id-ing these!

This tree was identified by someone as a walnut, but I'm not so sure (and frankly, I hope it's not one) It's probabaly about 20' tall. These are pictures of the lower branches that have started leafing out. I'm wondering if it's some kind of hickory

tree photo #1
tree photo #2
tree photo #3

Here are some vines I'm not sure about. flowers? Poisonous?

vine #1 (could I be so lucky that this is morning glory?)
vine #2
vine #3 (virginia creeper? This IS near some poison ivy)

And finally, some miscellaneous things growing

misc #1

misc #2
misc #2 again

misc #3
misc #3 again

misc #4

How depressing! After looking at all these, I realize what a big mess I have to clean up!

Thanks so much for your help!
Mary

#82062 May 22nd, 2005 at 09:55 PM
R
R
vine #2 is what we cal wild grapes
vine #3 virginia creeper

misc #1 is knotweed many consider it a weed BUT there is a butterfly that uses it for food, can't remember which one

Is misc #2 a Hollyhock?

That's a;; I can figure out right now.

You can do it!! Just start small and slowly but surely take control of more. I dug my gardens out an extra foot each year. Now I have no new gardens to dig!!!

#82063 May 23rd, 2005 at 02:40 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mary,
trees'????
No clue

Vines'
#1. Does appear to be a morning glory.
#2. Yep, I'm aggreeing with Rue, Wild Grape Vine.
#3. Yep, Virginia Creeper..

Misc #1. Pennsylvania smartweed; Pink knotweed
(*I like this stuff, the pink is a very pretty pink, it's beautiful in wild flower arrangements,
and the birds like the seeds.
If you don't want them to get outta control, cut down when the flowers are turning to seed if you do keep them. I have very fluffy soil, and mine pull out easily..*)
Misc #2. The rounded leaves one is some type of Malva/rose Mallow/Hollyhock in that family,
so I'm thinkin' it's something like a Hollyhock \'Zebrina\' (Malva sylvestris)
Misc #2. again, I've seen something like that, but can't remember..

Misc #3. Has the leaves a buttercup.. ????
Misc #3. again, The bottome right is a common plaintain.

Misc #4. The first thing I saw was the purple flowers, those are clovers..
But clover is good for your soil, puts in lot's of nitrogen.... thumbup

How depressing! After looking at all these, I realize what a big mess I have to clean up!
Don't get depressed...
Gardening can be alot of fun, theraputic, good excercise, and you meet the nicest people in the world...Rue said it perfectly,
You can do it!! Just start small and slowly
And look at the small projects not the
"BIG PICTURE" and look at it as fun...

And don't forget, you've got a great team of
gardeners behind you right here for moral support and ideas!!!!

Weezie

#82064 May 23rd, 2005 at 02:42 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
***AND RUE, wavey wavey HI wavey wavey !!!!!!!!

#82065 May 23rd, 2005 at 03:20 AM
I have nothing to add to this, but I want to say that I enjoyed it immensely. I remembered the 'mallow' from last year's i. d. rounds.

Great photography, Mary.

#82066 May 23rd, 2005 at 04:46 AM
OP Offline
Thank you all so much! Hmmm..can we eat wild grapes? They what ya use to make jelly? :-)

Hollyhocks? wavey Yayyy! I'm SO GLAD I didn't weed this area. I would have pulled up the Hollyhock. Now, can I move stuff around or is it too late? They are coming up in odd places...kinda like to move them to one general area if I can without killing them!

I'm also thrilled about the morning glories...finally something along that fence that isn't poison ivy! I read that the VA Creeper can be irritating to the skin...is it a keeper or should I treat it like the poison ivy and get it outta there?

Knotweed stays! I'll try to keep it in control. It's pretty, and I LOVE butterflies.

I'm not sure if misc #3 has a buttercup? That picture wasnt too good - the sun was hitting that area pretty hard when I tried taking the picture. I'll try to get a clearer shot in the morning, if it's not raining too hard.

Now, this may be a stupid question - it seems like people don't *want* clover, they just kinda get it. Weezie you said it was good because it had a lot of nitrogen...if I have another area that I think it would benefit, should I move some? Or would composting and turning it into the soil be better?

Thanks for the compliment on the photos, Carly. I have way too much fun snapping pictures in the garden - town thinks I'm crazy enough as it is. I don't care! LOL!

Still wondering about that tree - I hope someone comes along that can ID it. I hope it's not a walnut - I forgot who said it, but someone sent a link, and it can be really toxic to plants/flowers frown

One step at a time...getting there! Thanks for all your encouragement. wink

Mary

#82067 May 23rd, 2005 at 11:36 AM
N
N
I can't tell from the photo's, even downloaded and enlarged, what it is but I can exclude Walnut.

Got acorns? Maybe it's a chestnut oak.

If you are cleaning up a neglected property it's likely you have a baby tree with the same leaf and that's what I'd need, a close up of a leaf. If it is a nut bearing tree it could be growing anywhere, squirrels plant trees.

#82068 May 23rd, 2005 at 12:52 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi Mary,

I sounds like you are getting it all in hand. That's great. I love the pictures. And I am so glad you are having fun taking them.

Enjoy your day.

#82069 May 23rd, 2005 at 01:11 PM
Meg Offline
Mary, I love all your photos too. People probably think I'm nuts, walking around the "circle" where I live, with my camera, taking close ups of weeds in the ditches!! laugh

I started a veggie garden in my back/side yard, and since then, I noticed my neighbors across the street started one too. Although, thiers looks like they knew what they were doing, more than I did...lol.

I'm always outside, taking photos.. lots of pics of my baby sprouts, like a proud parent or something. thumbup

Meg

#82070 May 23rd, 2005 at 11:31 PM
OP Offline
NearWater - got out my ladder and clipped off an uhealthy looking branch. There was 1 leaf that looked healthy. Tried getting good pics, but my closeups are kinda blurry frown Of course by the time I got to take the pics, it had started withering up already. Hope you can make heads or tails out of them!

Mystery Tree

While I was 'up there' I looked around at the other lower branches...and a lot of them look similar to this (chewed leaves). Wonder if it's sick? I looked all over for a baby, btw, to no avail.

TK - thanks, I'm having a ball with it! It's definitely a work in progress and will be for a long while, I'm sure.

and Meg - you sound like me! Too funny - I can picture myself doing the same thing! LOL!

#82071 May 24th, 2005 at 05:10 AM
N
N
It's got me stumped Mary. Black Gum? If forced to guess, that would be it.

#82072 May 24th, 2005 at 06:47 AM
OP Offline
By 'gum', I think that's it! The fruit does look familiar...I'll have to check the bark when it's light out, and keep an eye on the fruit this fall. Wow...they sure get big. I think it'll have to come down before it's fully mature - it's only about 30' or so from the house!

Thank you!

#82073 May 24th, 2005 at 09:32 AM
N
N
They can top out at 80' but that would be ideal conditions. You might be looking at a tree that will mature at 60' and the tops of trees don't do a lot of damage to structures when they come down. Unless it's on the south to north-west side I wouldn't be real concerned, unless the wind is screaming out of the wrong direction!

I flat out love the fall color and am half temped to seek one out, take some cuttings (they don't propagate well, hense no babies) and plant one on the north edge of my property.

#82074 May 25th, 2005 at 03:26 AM
OP Offline
Wish I knew how to successfully root a cutting - want me to try? I'd be glad to send you some! I checked the bark today, and it sure does look alligator-y. Coolio :-) It's sitting on the south east corner of the house. Those autumn pics are great...looking forward to it...well, kinda!

Thought I would bring this picture back here for those of you that helped me ID my Hollyhocks...I squealed like a little girl when I saw this!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#82075 May 25th, 2005 at 03:42 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mary,
Just so you know,
they aren't actually Hollyhocks..
They're a cousin to them...
It's the Malva/Mallow family...

Weezie

#82076 May 25th, 2005 at 04:01 AM
OP Offline
wavey

Didjya know the aztecs used it to make tea for curing bronchitis, gastroenteritis, tonsillitis, and even hemmorhoids? link
Too bad I'm too chicken to try these natural remedies. My luck I'd end up with bronchitis in my... shk
LOL!

#82077 May 25th, 2005 at 09:17 PM
N
N
Originally posted by MaryReboakly:
Wish I knew how to successfully root a cutting - want me to try?
You have your hands full and I've been growing cuttings for years.

Generally, light moist but not damp soil that drains well and rooting powder does the trick.

Get Mary's world under control first.

#82078 May 25th, 2005 at 09:22 PM
OP Offline
Okay wink but it might be a while before that happens - if ever! LOL! wavey

#82079 May 25th, 2005 at 10:44 PM
N
N
Originally posted by MaryReboakly:
Okay wink but it might be a while before that happens - if ever! LOL! wavey
Share what you learn. No one can ask for more.

Link Copied to Clipboard