This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#81843 January 11th, 2007 at 04:07 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
Here are the latest pics from Jane's webcam.

Tufted Titmouse and Male House Finch
[Linked Image]

And Then, There Were Four
[Linked Image]

INCOMING!!!! sca
[Linked Image]

#81844 January 11th, 2007 at 05:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Thorny,
Very nice to have you back. clp Thanks for the bird shots. I really dig the incoming chickadoodledee!

#81845 January 11th, 2007 at 05:50 AM
Wow! Love those pics!

#81846 January 12th, 2007 at 10:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Thorny,
Do you think we could use the video cam for on-line participation in the Great Backyard Bird Count on February 16-19?

There's the link to the count. We are going to participate - but the window cam could be treated separately.

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/

Hubby found a cheap camera on sale at Radio Shack and this weekend is going to attempt a cardinal cam that more folks will be able to see. He'd ratther do about anything than real chores wink

#81847 January 12th, 2007 at 11:32 PM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
You can include photos and videos with your report, but you will need to do a written report also.

#81848 January 13th, 2007 at 01:01 AM
More cool ones to share!!!!

#81849 January 13th, 2007 at 08:27 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
Jane go to redshanksoftware.com and download ClipBird. It is a FREE program that allows you to record daily lists of your bird sightings, WITH COMMENTS! It is perfect for the GBBC. As a matter of fact that's what most of us birders use now for ALL our birding records and reports. Here is the link:

ClipBird

The NEW version of ClipBird just came out so I updated my version, too.

#81850 January 14th, 2007 at 08:45 AM
I like the red head the best.....

Thanks for sharing .

I like birds too......
DOnt know the names except a robin.. ha ha he is robin my strawberys.

dodge...............

teech

#81851 January 14th, 2007 at 09:15 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
Dodge the red head is a Male House Finch. A Male Purple Finch has the red head too. The females of BOTH species are just brown and white. Those brown and white birds with the red head are female House Finches.

#81852 January 14th, 2007 at 09:23 AM
Thorn,

thanks..........Finches.
i will try and rememeber that ......my sister is a giant bird watcher in her yard and has a book.. I live in the country and dont know one bird from the other.....

i did see a Heron in my dam one day..Has long legs.......So I did notice.
They are really cute birds you show. And duckie an all else......
Only thing about duckies and geese.. They drop too much on the yard......daaaaaaaa

dodge shk

#81853 January 14th, 2007 at 10:01 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
There are many types of finches. House Finches and Purple Finches absolutely LOVE Black Oil Sunflower seeds, either from a tube feeder OR a platform feeder (the ground, flat board, or table top, like in the photos here.) The other common Finch in the Eastern U.S. and Canada is the American Goldfinch. These Finches like Black Oil Sunflower seeds (BOSS),but they positively LOVE Black Niger Thistle seed in a cloth mesh bag (Commonly called a, "Thistle seed Sock"). Black Niger seed is rather expensive, though, running $7.00 to $10.00 for a 5-lb. bag, so I just take my chances with BOSS which I get for $12.00 for a 50-lb. bag at Tractor Supply Company.

#81854 January 14th, 2007 at 10:11 AM
I thought it may be expensice hobby , cause my neighbor told me it costs her $4.00 each time her feeder is filled....

Glad it isnt my hobby.. Our state isnt fond of the feeders, cause in the summer the Bears are coming into the yards to eat out of them.....
Make lots of damage if they come in groups on 3.

dodge

#81855 January 14th, 2007 at 10:20 AM
I thought it may be expensice hobby , cause my neighbor told me it costs her $4.00 each time her feeder is filled....

Glad it isnt my hobby.. Our state isnt fond of the feeders, cause in the summer the Bears are coming into the yards to eat out of them.....
Make lots of damage if they come in groups on 3.

dodge

#81856 January 14th, 2007 at 11:32 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
I spend about $100.00 a year on food for the birds and another $20.00 to $30.00 on feeders and other incidentals. Of course, these expensives are spread over a twelve month period! So that comes out to about $10.00 a month.

#81857 January 14th, 2007 at 10:05 PM
thorn

Now harm in that......Better than drinking...
WE spend plenty feeding our cows, so I dont need the extra expense......
Neighbors ducks come by each summer, also a Heron. Geese sometime and turkey .. Wild.

I love to look..My sister is a widow and loves their attention....Lives alone.

Do you get the Magazine" Birds and Blooms"?
Sister does an saves me them.. cheap 12 for $12.00 and bright colored pages.

dodge

#81858 January 14th, 2007 at 10:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi all,
dodge, feeding the birds can get very addicting and expensive.
Supplying water is a lot cheaper and can also get you lots of birds. Especially in winter,a heated birdbath on a frozen day is a guarentee of feathered friends.
We attract more than a hundred birds a day, however, I am spending a king's ransom in bird food. I am making adjustments to get it under control I was sneaking bags of bird seed in with groceries all the time (so that money was hidden in grocery expenses)

Thistle (niger) seed for the goldfinches costs $8.97 for 10lbs at wallyworld. It's the cheapest I've found. I use about 5 lbs a week. So that's $20 a month for just the "bugs," oops, I mean American goldfinch. We are ok with this expense, because come summer, we'll have lots of bright yellow male American goldfinch. Our winter count is more than 20 a day.

I love to ground feed, but the squirrles we're killing us. We switched to the cheapest seed I can find (with the least milo) and add cracked corn and safflower seeds. I like the brand at Target. BOSS is BOSS, but it makes the squirrel popluation spiral out of control.

Have a great day.

#81859 January 14th, 2007 at 11:03 PM
jane

Sound like me with flowers on my farm.. this only happened to me the last 4 years.

Do you have a feed mill in your area? You may be able to get cracked corn there.. Is that the same as mallot?
My sister buys for a surplus place.....
Right about the squirrel population and rabbits.
She feeds those also on the ground.. Rabbits have the babys there under her shed.. Next to the free food....She is in town and it is polluted with bunnies an squirrel and birds..
However she loves it like you ......
She also has a book strickly on birds. I would love to see your gold finch when it arrives.. Let me know of that post.
She talks of finches.. ha ha

barb

#81860 January 15th, 2007 at 04:01 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
Here are todays pics taken on Sunday,Jan. 14, 2007, at 2:30 PM, E.S.T. The first is the LONG awaited pic of Jane's husband. The other two are of a bird that is a PRIZE to get at ANY feeder anywhere, a sweetly adorable, White-Breasted Nuthatch (Male: the BLACK cap tells you it is a male. Females have a GRAY cap.) The Nuthatch's call is a VERY nasal, "Yank!, Yank!"

JANE'S HUSBAND
[Linked Image]

WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH(MALE)01
[Linked Image]

WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH(MALE)02
[Linked Image]

#81861 January 15th, 2007 at 04:10 AM
janes husband .....what do you feed him?

ha ha ...... smile

Nice photos ...do you let the camera on all the time and have he feeder close to a window?

Marvelous photos.....
Some blue and grey bird hit our window the other morning I think picking a spider off the web.
What may that be?

dodge

#81862 January 15th, 2007 at 04:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey All,
Hubby would probably you tell you the birds eat better around here than he does wink

Hey Thorny, that is a first. I have never actually seen a nuthatch in the window. Man, I wish I had been upstairs for that. Nuthatches are delightful! I believe they are the only bird (at least in my yard) that walks head first down trees.

The camera is an internet feed that just lives off the wireless connection in our home. The feeder is an avarium. It's like an inverted bay window box that has a wooden frame that fits in a window. I will get pictures together.

dodge, I don't know who is hitting your window... my first guess will be titmouse.

#81863 January 15th, 2007 at 05:01 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
Possibly a BLUE-Gray Gnatcher, but it is TOO early for them.

#81864 January 15th, 2007 at 05:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's a blue-gray gnatcher? I want one!!!

Hubby is laughing his hiney off. I am dying to see a nuthatch from my bedroom window and have yet to do so. He watched one just after thorny's nuthatch post... I missed it! :p I keep missing it.

We are really fortunate to have many white breasted nuthatch. Thorny, don't they make a sound that reminds you of an island bird. He can make you think toucan sam is in the yard?

#81865 January 15th, 2007 at 05:45 AM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
My REAL name is, "Nat" (short for, Nathaniel"). The FIRST time I EVER saw a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, I was wearing blue jeans and a gray T-shirt. Someone said, "Oh, LOOK! A Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher!" I looked down at my blue and gray clothing, and horrified said,"Don't let him catch me!!! ters "

BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER
[Linked Image]

#81866 January 15th, 2007 at 07:09 AM
wasn't that bird at all..
But that is a beauty.

this on has strips across the belly.

Some sort of winter fellow......(gal)

ha ha

#81867 January 15th, 2007 at 12:21 PM
The Bird Man
OP Offline
The Bird Man
Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers are tiny birds, about the size of a Chickadee. They are 100% insect eaters so will NOT come to your feeders, but occur in large flocks in the woods beginning in mid to late April. You can hear them clearly calling, "Tsee, Tsee, Tsee", very similar to Kinglets, to which they are CLOSELY related. They make a TINYnest out of tree lichen lined with spider web in the fork of a tree branch near the end or the branch, often with a small branch just above the nest. This nest is easily overlooked as it is about the size and shape of a golf ball cut in half.

BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER NEST
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard