This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81787 January 15th, 2007 at 01:33 AM
OP Offline
Hi Everyone,
I just joined this forum and I'm looking forward to getting some information and help on my new little Hawaiian Umbrella tree. It was a gift, given to me this past Christmas, so I've only had it for a little while. It is kept indoors as I live in New York and it is too cold for it to be outside. I was a little nervous about the watering process, and now I have been watering it about once a week. I keep it on a humidity tray and it sits on gravel stones. I keep the humidity tray filled with water on a daily basis.
I noticed some new little branches coming out and I am wondering WHEN or IF I should be pruning or pinching back. Also when should I start fertilizing? Although it is Winter, the tree stays inside, so is it in an active growing state right now? As you can tell, I'm really a novice at this...but I want to succeed with this little tree. It is very special, given to me by a very special person. Any help would be soooo wonderful. Thanks everyone!
Lonepalm 15 (Liz) smile

#81788 January 15th, 2007 at 02:40 AM
Hi there Liz let me check out my encyclopedia and see what I can learn for you OK ...

Welcome to the Forum!!

Rita

#81789 January 15th, 2007 at 03:00 AM
hawaiian umbrella bonsai care

This was all I could find I hope it works out for you.. I didn't have anything in my book about them ... Wish you luck.. My friend has one and she soaks it in the sink for a few hours once a week and then will water it a few times a week after that!!

#81790 January 15th, 2007 at 03:51 AM
OP Offline
Hi Rita,
Thank you for the most helpful link you included in your post. I printed it out so I can refer to it. If you find anything else out about the Scheff please send me the info. I NEED lots of information!! I water mine about once a week and follow the pattern of "3"...soak once till water drains out the drain hole, wait 10 minutes, soak a second time again till water drains, wait another 15 mintues and then soak again. I keep tooth picks in the soil to let me know when it is dry....it helps me!! Thanks again for your help....I check this site daily for any messages, so feel free to message me anytime...all help and suggestions are so very welcomed!!
Liz

#81791 January 15th, 2007 at 05:39 AM
Unfortunitally I think I am the only bonsai enthusist on at the time... There was another lady on that was incredible in her knowledge but she has not been around in a while...

Sounds like your doing great!! The hardest part about it is when you need to re-pot.. root snipping... depending on the size and shape you have or want to have you just let it grow and remove what you don't like...

#81792 January 15th, 2007 at 02:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've got one of those too...

i just water it every week. it was doing really well with lots of new growth. i was just letting it go...didn't do any pruning (it was only about 4 inches tall when i got it) as i wanted to let it grow a bit and i haven't had time to investigate what do to with it for the bonsai thing. i'm going to check out that link!

then the cat got to it. uprooted it out of the pot. i replanted it and ended up overwatering it...lost a lot of the branches. it's hanging in there and i remember reading something somewhere about how to get more branches to start growing...have to go search for that again tho.

basically, water sparingly and keep it in good light and it should do well. i've got mine on the stand with the grow light and it's done really well there.

for the bonsai stuff, there are a ton of websites dedicated to that technique - there are actually different styles of bonsai. i hadn't known that!

do a google search for bonsai and see what you come up with!

#81793 January 18th, 2007 at 05:00 AM
OP Offline
Hi Joclyn,
Thanks for the info on the Hawaiian Umbrella tree. I have mine on a stand by a window where it gets filtered light. It has a southern exposure. I am careful about not overwatering, and now I think I should start fertilizing. I was thinking about going to my local nursery where I know they have a bonsai department. I'll ask lots of questions!! I would love to post a photo of my little tree, but I dont know if I can do that on this forum.
I'll let you know what I find out this weekend when I go to the nursery. Thanks again for replying to my post...this is sure lots of fun to be able to communicate with others who have the same interests.
Liz

#81794 January 18th, 2007 at 12:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm glad i was able to help you, liz!!

yes, definitely go to the local nursery and ask tons of questions!!

i agree, it IS fun to communicate with others that have the same interests!!! and this site is full of really terrific people!! you're definitely going to like it here!!

#81795 January 18th, 2007 at 08:59 PM
We are BIG on pictures here Liz!! thumbup post away clp

#81796 January 20th, 2007 at 04:18 AM
A
A
I agree about the pics! I'm a budding bonsai enthusiast, and I haven't heard of that type of tree so I'd like to see another beside the link of spring Fever. Speaking of which SF, your ficus forest style trees are great! I need to attempt a forest style bonsai. Right now I have a serissa that is about as close as it gets and it only has a couple main trunks that may turn out to be all from the same root system. One of these days I'llget to repotting it a bit.

#81797 January 20th, 2007 at 11:41 AM
Thanks Aighead.... any tree can be turned into a bonsai... do you have any pics?? I would love to see all your pics!!! grinnnn

#81798 January 22nd, 2007 at 10:56 PM
A
A
SF I started a new topic here .

Link Copied to Clipboard