This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81623 March 23rd, 2007 at 05:26 AM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
It has white spots and browning on edge of leaves! Help! Bought it at Home Depot last summer. Has grown very little, but I know it is a slow growing plant. Hope it blooms this year, it did not last year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P.S. check out my mystery plant in the other topic area. I need to identify it. Duh

#81624 March 23rd, 2007 at 05:28 AM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
So I haven't pulled the weeds yet. So shoot me!!!! (That is embarassing though!!!) shocked

#81625 March 23rd, 2007 at 10:20 AM
Wow. There are so many diseases, weevils and general nasties that attack rhododendrons. Not sure what this one is but if it isn't too late I seriously suggest you get rid of those weeds. They act as a home for many bugs. I suggest you check diseases of rhododendrons on Wikipedia and also look on http://www.apsnet.org/online/common/names/rhododen.asp
which lists a few. The accepted U.S. authority is Ohio State University and you might like to browse round http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3043.html

I don't know what your winters are like or what zone Oklahoma City is in but, if you get heavy freezes in winter there is a just a possibility that it is suffering from freeze drying (no not like your instant coffee). Rhodas are evergreen but don't like being dry even in winter. The symptoms are browning of the leaves but I am rather more worried about the white spots, which have an aura of a fungal infection. If it is freeze drying then it should recover as the new growth starts (although freeze drying slows that as well). Let's hope that it is and if so then water it well in late fall this and future years, before the first freezes. But with the small amount of info we have the definitive answer is that we just can't tell. Duh

Sorry I can't be more help.

John

#81626 March 23rd, 2007 at 01:09 PM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
You gave me a start. Thank you. I was worried about a fungus too. I did not really think about the weeds and bugs but I guess that makes sense. perpl
Now I guess I can take my pics and a leaf to a nursery maybe and they can help? I think those look like buds on the tip top. flowers maybe?? I am going to get it some help right away. Poor thing eek

#81627 March 23rd, 2007 at 11:56 PM
Has anyone ever tried Pinefines to acidify and amend the soil for such things as azalia and rhododandreon? I just heard about it recently at a class. I thought I would give it a try.

Serenity

#81628 March 24th, 2007 at 02:14 PM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
I mixed manure in my garden last year when I started it b/c Rhododanreons like organic soils, and my mom was helping me get started as a gardener, but I planted it in mostly peat moss for acidity.

Link Copied to Clipboard