This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81591 March 13th, 2007 at 12:07 AM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I planted 28 Acidanthera bulbs last weekend. We've had four or five days of mid 80's temps since then and I have kept them well watered. How long before I should expect to see shoots coming up? The bag did not give me a "days to germination" time, and I cannot find the answer on line. Thanks in advance.

#81592 March 13th, 2007 at 12:19 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Peacock Orchids, as well with any bulb,
need a wee~bit of time to establish roots first..
Then will send up green shoots..

If they don't establish a root system first,
they won't have anyway to uptake water and food
thru the roots to utilize all the nutrients they take in thru photosynthesis process..

I'd say a good handful of weeks at least...
2~4 or so maybe......

#81593 March 13th, 2007 at 10:31 PM
L
Linny Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the info Weezie. I must learn to be patient. I can't wait to see the shoots. One thing I did do, was to rake leaves over the bed to try and help hold in moisture since it's so dry here. Plus our soil is pretty sandy. Should I have done that? I have been watering them, actually soaking them, every day. Am I overdoing it?

PS: I love your signature. Everytime I read a post of yours, it reminds me that I should never fail to be kind to others. Thanks.

#81594 March 13th, 2007 at 11:39 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I might not water every day..
Seems like that would be too much..
But I don't know your soils' that well..
but usually you let the soil dry down a bit,
before watering..
Give them a wee~bit of a break and water in a few days, if the soil seems dry...

*remember the roots are forming right now, and you don't want soooo much water that they drowned and rot...*
(but again, I don't know your soil all that well, but hold off a bit and dry a bit)

Raking the leaves over is okay..
For us up here, it would be a temp. barrier between the ground and snow!
But for you, keeping it moist and cool could be a good thing..
*I hear some of the temps' down there are 80*'s or so*

~~~>Ohhhhhh yeah kissies flw flw flw

Link Copied to Clipboard