This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81330 January 25th, 2007 at 04:50 AM
OP Offline
tell me the meaning of:
annuals-
perrinials-
Duh

#81331 January 25th, 2007 at 04:55 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child

#81332 January 25th, 2007 at 04:44 PM
OP Offline
what is the difference between the two??

#81333 January 25th, 2007 at 04:59 PM
Annuals are plants that only last the season...and perenials are ones that come back each spring and bloom all season.
Hope that helps??

#81334 January 25th, 2007 at 06:19 PM
S
S
annuals are seeds you replant every year[like merigolds, morning glories]

perinials are bulbs,roots, rizones, that you only plant once and come up every year [like iris,trees,bushes, lily-of-the-vally]

laugh i wanted to help too! grinnnn

#81335 January 26th, 2007 at 06:00 PM
OP Offline
so annuals i would have to keep replanting?
they wouldn't make seed and replant themselves,
kinda like sunflowwers or dandelions?

#81336 January 26th, 2007 at 06:39 PM
Many annuals that have the capability to self-sow, aren't always able to do it in colder climates (like Sibyl's, in PA) but have a better chance of doing so in milder climates (like here in my "microclimate" **except for this year** :rolleyes: and in LA... IF that stands for Los Angeles). Yes, like sunflowers. (I don't have any experience with morning glories & marigolds, so I'm not sure about those, personally.)

Dandilions, however, are a totally different animal... I don't think they can be stopped ANYWHERE! nutz

#81337 January 28th, 2007 at 12:11 AM
OP Offline
no i am actually in alabam LA stands for lower alabama for me
so let me get this straight and plz anyone correct me if i am wrong:
annuals would have to be planted every year, they wouldn't make seed and drop and make more?
perrinials would only have to be planted once and they are there to stay?
soorry i get confusedc real easy

#81338 January 28th, 2007 at 12:45 AM
S
S
you got the perrenials right
pattys right about the self-sowing annuals. thats why i always collect seeds off the flowers when they die off and plant them again next spring. or buy new seeds. either wat you still have to plant them every year,
hardy annuals can resow themselfs in colder climates, but i always keep a few seeds just in case the winters too harsh.

#81339 January 28th, 2007 at 02:57 PM
R
R
also, annuals flower much more than perennials, in general.

think of the axiom: the flame that burns half as long burns twice as bright.

most folks like to use both in their gardens.

perennials flower at various times through the year with no need to replant.

annuals flower profusely and are used to add color to focal areas at different times through the year. Example. if you have a party in the summer, you might add some annuals that are blooming at that time to beautify your home while you have guests.

#81340 January 28th, 2007 at 04:02 PM
I think this explains the differences pretty well, but I couldn't find the link when I posted the other day:

What is an Annual Flower:
An annual grows from seed and blooms and sets seed and then dies in just one growing season. Petunia and marigold are examples of flowers widely grown as annuals. Annuals need to be replanted each spring. Most annuals bloom continuously from spring through fall.

What is a Perennial Flower:
A perennial flower lives for three or more seasons. It may or may not be mature enough to bloom the first year from seed. (Hint: P is for Permanent and for Perennial). Perennials will need periodic rejuvenation and/or replacement, typically every three to five years. Most perennials bloom for only a short period -- a week or two or three -- once a year.

What is a Biennial Flower:
A biennial grows vegetatively its first year, lives over the winter, then finally blooms in the second season. Once it has bloomed and set seed, it dies. Foxgloves and Hollyhocks are usually biennial.

Gardening is never simple. There are always exceptions. Wrap your mind around these:

Half Hardy Annual:
This is an interesting term and varies in usage depending on your climate. It describes plants that are perennial in warmer climates but can be grown as annuals in colder climates. These plants can be categorized with annuals because they will bloom the first year from seed. They are termed half hardy because although they can handle frost, they can't survive extremely cold winter weather. If you live in a cold winter climate, you would not realistically expect these to come back the next year. But if you live in an area with mild winters, they may be perennial for you. Osteospermum is an example of a half hardy annual, as is snapdragon (Antirrhinum). And in a mid-way location, you may find they survive and overwinter successfully for you during especially mild years -- but not all years.

Frost Tender Annual or Tender Perennial:
You may see this term used to indicate a perennial plant grown as an annual because it is killed by frost. If you live in a frost free climate, this plant would be perennial for you. If you live where it gets cold enough to frost, you will lose it!

Link Copied to Clipboard