This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81319 February 20th, 2007 at 05:33 PM
OP Offline
I have this mole that is tearing up my yard. Any ideas on how to kill it? I have put down mole poision but he's still tunneling away!! Please Help!!

#81320 February 21st, 2007 at 02:29 PM
A friend of mine who is a landscaper, says that by putting chewed up Juicy Fruit gum down the holes, works wonders, i dont know how much you would need but it has somthing to do with the smell??
Hope it works for you.
Good luck.

#81321 February 21st, 2007 at 10:54 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Penny, I will try that!!

#81322 March 16th, 2007 at 02:23 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Actually that thing with the juicy fruit gum is an ol wives tale. I know a lot of people swear by it, but there are generally other reasons why the critters go away after doing that, and it is actually pure coincidence. Moles are true carnivores, and are not attracted to the smell of the gum what so ever, so they will not eat it. This is the same reason why most mole poisons do not work by the way. they are gimmicks.
The best way of controlling moles is by going after their favorite food source, the grub, then the moles will go off in search of grubs, and leave your lawn alone. The only problem with doing this is, that grubs are most active twice a year, late spring and late summer, and the moles will generally stick around until these times and when the grubs don't show up, they will leave.
Grub Ex is a very good product, and one application works the entire season, but it must be watered in right after the application, and the application must be done at least 3 weeks before the grubs become active in your area.

#81323 March 16th, 2007 at 07:29 PM
I've heard that moles don't like castor bean plants. I've got moles really bad, so we'll see what develops this year--I've got tons of castor seeds. Just be careful, castor bean plant/seeds are poisoness.

#81324 March 16th, 2007 at 09:18 PM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
Actually the seeds/beans of the castor plant, go well beyond being poisonous, they are DEADLY TOXIC!!! They are what ricin is derived from.
The moles don't shy away from the beans, there is a repellent on the market that is made from the castor plant that is said to repel the moles. I have not used it myself, as of yet, but I have really heard nothing but bad reviews of this product. Since it is highly toxic, I doubt I will even bother trying it, as its effectiveness does not seem to outweigh its toxicity.

Link Copied to Clipboard