This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81236 February 18th, 2007 at 06:53 AM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
Planted Hostas in garden last summer confused and was first time to ever have them. Do they come up again? They are not there now...wondering if they are perrinial or annual and if they could have died if I have not been watering my garden over the cold months. They can't handle getting dry. (learned that the hard way)

#81237 February 18th, 2007 at 07:38 AM
Your Hostas ARE still there... they're just sleeping, but will start poking through as soon as the weather warms up a bit. Don't worry about not having watered them over the winter. plants that go to sleep in the wintertime don't want any more water than what nature offers.

Here's a link to The Garden Helper's plant care guide for Hostas .

It sounds like you'll have a pretty nice garden going for yourself this year, Johnna! thumbup (Can't wait to see your photos when they start blooming!)

#81238 February 18th, 2007 at 07:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes, hosta's are perennial...they are bulbs or rhizomes and the greenery dies back when winter hits.

whatever moisture they are getting from rain/snow will be enough to get them through the winter.

most varieties do better in shady conditions - do you have them in a spot where they might be getting too much sun? (re the 'can't handle getting dry' comment)

#81239 February 18th, 2007 at 08:24 PM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
They are on east side of house. Shaded by 1pm at the latest. And I have no where to move them. My neighbor's hostas grow fine in front of her house. But since I planted them in early June last summer, I think it was hard on them. But I did have to get disiplined about watering my garden! I am enjoying gardening now and if a plant can live through me, I know it's my knid of plant. If not I know what not to get next time!!!! I Like Hydrangeas! ~Bad luck with mine-it's dead.

#81240 February 18th, 2007 at 08:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
that spot should be fine for the hosta.

yes, watering is important until the plants get a good root system established!

#81241 February 18th, 2007 at 09:40 PM
Johnna, I've got several different varieties of Hostas and some of them are more tolerant of the sun than others. I've found that mine with gold leaves tend to tolerate more sun, while the ones with the blue leaves seem to tolerate the least amount of sun and tend to perform better in the more deeply shaded areas. thumbup

#81242 February 20th, 2007 at 12:11 AM
M
M
Hi, I've got a Hosta plant that I'm growing "Indoors" which I think you are not meant to do(?)

It died off several months after it was suppossed to and I thought that was that however I kept watering it and giving it the old "TLC" and low and behold it's just started to grow again!

I'm so pleased! I've got it in a middle sized pot in the corner of my lounge out of direct sun but it's warm and cosy there with some filtered light.

Someone mentioned flowers, when would it flower? Bare in mind I'm from the deep south (down under) in New Zealand and at the moment we are coming to the end of summer.

Cheers

#81243 February 20th, 2007 at 12:45 AM
Hello Murray,
Interesting that you have it indoors. I have always wanted to try that! Glad that it has started growing again! Can you tell me what zone you are in? Hostas actually need a cold and dormant period. It should be overwintered outside if possible. As for flowering, there are about 6000 named varieties. Granted, not nearly that many species, but they all do bloom at different times. If there is anyway you could post a picture of it here, it would help to identify it. Have fun!

#81244 February 20th, 2007 at 10:11 PM
Johnna Offline OP
OP Offline
Sounds like I'm doing alright then. Thanks so much.

#81245 February 23rd, 2007 at 12:33 AM
M
M
Hi Kirsten, I will post a picture in a while as I'd like to let it get a bit bigger and as for a "zone" I'm not sure but we are in the Southern Hemisphere i.e. New Zealand where the average temperature in Auckland goes from about 3 Degrees Celcius (minimum) in the middle of Winter to any thing up to 30 Degrees Celcius (maximum) in Summer.

#81246 February 23rd, 2007 at 02:28 AM
Hostas, are definately cold weather plants.. Prefer that ..They come back so thick you will wish they dont..

;o)

But they do make a great show off.
flw

Link Copied to Clipboard