This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80395 October 22nd, 2006 at 03:11 PM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
please dont mind my pic, im not good at taking em,
[Linked Image]
this is my little pond, just set it up this summer.no were near done as you can tell, its on my to do list for next spring/summer. wink theres 4 streamlets going around the tree, their setting on logs. any ideas how to cover em up [fill ins] , or anything else would be great!
flw thanks

#80396 October 22nd, 2006 at 07:41 PM
A
A
Sibyl,

I love that! I'm not usually real crazy about ponds and such, but the way you have it going around the tree is really cool! I'm assuming it's shady, so how about some hostas? Or ferns? lily of the valley is a good filler that likes shade.

#80397 October 22nd, 2006 at 09:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the way i covered mine like that (it's not around a tree though) is to put tall plants around each to start with, but then i ended up with trailing pond plants. a combination of the two worked wonders!

#80398 October 23rd, 2006 at 04:34 AM
That is a really good idea. I can see it being enlarged on the outside of it and a path leading to it and a seating area. LOL!!! I cannot wait until next summer to see what you do with it.

For color how about some Heucheras and as suggested some Ferns, and Hostas.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
[Linked Image]

#80399 October 23rd, 2006 at 05:49 AM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
[Linked Image]
i got a pathway and bench, the ponds in front of the bench, you cant see the pond in this pic , wink
im still adding on to the pathway.want to add it all around the pond.
got to get a bigger pump, the one i got aint strong enough to pump water up to the top stremlet..as for the stremlets, i thought about making flowerboxes, puttin them on the logs, and tucking the streamlets in them.? Duh or moss? Duh or a vine??????
thanks forliking my pond and all the advice kissies im taking notes! wink

#80400 October 23rd, 2006 at 12:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
flower boxes would be perfect. then you could plant around them, like i did!

#80401 October 23rd, 2006 at 11:45 PM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Jiffymouse.
do you have a pictchure?

#80402 October 24th, 2006 at 10:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sibyl, this post has some pics. there is actually 3 different sized tubs for my pond, but you can only see one of them. the top one is completely hidden by the plants, and the bottom one is totally sunk (all but the rim) in sand and rocks.

#80403 October 24th, 2006 at 08:31 PM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
loved your pond Jiffymouse!
so pretty and full of lush greens!
i dont know much about water plants, got some waterlilies down in the other pond had em for about 3 years, and so far no blooms.just tons of lilie pads.

#80404 October 25th, 2006 at 09:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i want water lilies. i have one, but the pads haven't grown enough to even see. i'm hoping next year :rolleyes:

the plants that have taken over it are water hyacinths. those bad boys are INVASIVE! there is no way i'd have them anywhere that wasn't contained, but in a stream system like your's they would be nice. they aren't winter hardy though at all. i am going to try an over winter expirement again. and i am going to try to mail some out before they all die off also. i've promised some to kennyso to try to overwinter there for him. he has a good set up, i've just been neglectful.

#80405 October 25th, 2006 at 11:39 AM
S
sibyl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
couldnt you overwinter em inside in an old fishtank?

#80406 November 1st, 2006 at 11:40 AM
adding some elephant ear plants, which can grow rather tall and are beautiful with large leaves and then some hosta below them--wold look nice also.

#80407 November 3rd, 2006 at 02:00 AM
I overwintered a handful of water hyacinth in a five gallon bucket full of water in my greenhouse last year. They done good for me! I don't know how they would do indoors without as much light and if you dont change out some of the water every week I imagine they could get to stinkin. With a gravel floor in my greenhouse I am able to just stick the hose in the bucket and let it run for about five minutes and it freshens the water. I can imagine it would be harder if you are trying to do it in your house. To be quite honest with you, they are fairly cheap around here and a couple of plants early in the spring will yield a whole pond full by mid summer.

#80408 November 3rd, 2006 at 11:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they are very hard to find here. there is only one store that carries them, because here, they can be very invasive if they get free in a micro climate.

that said, i have ideas on how i will overwinter mine...

by the way, good to see you eclo, it's been a while!

Link Copied to Clipboard