This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80174 August 7th, 2006 at 04:04 AM
Jodi13 Offline OP
OP Offline
I just found a nest of yellow jackets burrowed in the ground of my flower garden. Actually, I found them the hard way - I was stung while watering my flowers. Does anyone know how I can get rid of them without killing my flowers or my praying mantids I have living in my flower beds. I am very nervous when it comes to insecticides - I not only appreciate the job the prayng mantids do for me, my daughter and I love to watch them.

#80175 August 7th, 2006 at 11:25 AM
M
M
I had a nest last year that I drowned. I waited until after dark when they were all home so I wouldn't get stung, put the hose so it would go into the nest opening, and let it run (I intended for 3-4 hours but I fell asleep and it went about 8 hours) at a bit more than a dribble. I don't think it killed them but the ground was so soggy they moved out. It didn't hurt anything else.

#80176 August 12th, 2006 at 06:43 AM
Mr. Radio
Mr. Radio
I can't think of any product which would take out the bees, without harming the mantis.

If you can find the hole, you may want to try using a gopher gaser, (a smoke bomb, that pushes smoke with a high sulfur content into the hole) that may chase them out and away, but I would not waste any time getting it into the hole, and getting away from the spot!
I found one of those nests on time while weeding my mom's strawberry patch. I grabbed a hold of a clump of grass, and yanked out the stinking nest! I think they stopped counting at 40 or 50 stings. My arm was completely covered by them, from finger tips to elbow!

You could try blasting some Shoo Fly or Raid wasp and bee killer directly into the hole. That would give you a much smaller area contaminated by the insecticide, but any mantis that comes in contact with it would still die.

Another idea would be to put a bee trap close by, and hope you get them all.

What ever course you take make sure you do it at night! That way you won't be getting nailed from behind form those bees returning to the nest.

#80177 August 22nd, 2006 at 12:20 PM
Beneficial nematodes will kill the hornets without impacting your native beneficial insects.

Link Copied to Clipboard