This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8004 February 13th, 2007 at 07:12 PM
OP Offline
This is a recipe that I have based my Jerk Chicken and/or pork tenderloin from. I say based on, because in true Island tradition every family recipe varies and I am the type of person that uses all the ingredients, but in my own proportions. Hence, if I am feeling like a Jerk Pork Loin with a stronger ginger flavor, I'll add a lot more.

A FEW WORDS OF WARNING!!!!!!!!! This gets as HOT as YOU make it! If you can feel the heat from a little ole bell pepper.......Don't do as I do and add 16 Habanero!!!!! For a lighter version, you might start off with a half of one pepper that is seeded.

AND!!!!

Know how to handle these peppers. If you rub your eyes while preparing this marinade.....you will NOT be able to read the rest of the recipe!

This is enough marinade to season 2-4 pounds of meat. I prepare pork loins/tenderloins by butterflying them to about 3/4 inch thick and then I cut a 'grid' of checkerboard style cuts about 1/4 inch deep, 1/2 or so inches apart, on each side. This allows for more surface area to absorb the marinade. (more surface area = more flavor) With chicken....I just cut it up into halves or quarters and give it a generous piercing with a knife or fork to allow a deeper penetration of flavor. (I am a fat and 'skin remover')

2 to 16 Habanero/Scotch Bonnet Chiles
2 bunches of scallions, with both white and green sections
1/2 medium onion
1 inch piece of fresh ginger sliced/grated thinly
3 cloves of garlic.....(like I have only used just 3) {wink}
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (double amount if dried)
2 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
3 tablespoons coarse kosher or sea salt
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

I chop all larger items (scallions, onions, peppers, garlic, ginger) into 1 inch or less pieces. Add to food processor and puree.

Add the rest of the ingredients in with puree'd mixture and process until it becomes a smooth puree.

I place the meat into a large ziplock bag and pour the marinade over it. Seal the bag with as much air as possible removed. Place in dish in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours....my preference it to let'er soak overnight. (you can marinate in a glass dish if you prefer....I use a bag for a more thorough distribution of flavor)

I grill the meat over a medium heat with some hickory or mesquite wood chips added to gain an additional layer to the flavor.

Once removed, I slice the pork on diagonals into 1/2 inch strips. (makes killer fajitas by the way) Chicken....I just chop it into portions. I serve with 'Calahoo greens' 'Rasta Pasta' and Ice Cold BEER !!!

I also have an additional ingredient I add a few times a year. Spearmint. Several years back when I had just an herb garden, I trimmed my huge invasive spearmint plant and placed a handful of leaves in the food processor with the other ingredients for the 'Halibut' (you figure it out) {wink}
It created a big hit with all who tried it. My neighbors would come over for the longest time after that asking for "that mint stuff".

So.....as a final thought.....Ksgardner....it may have taken me months, but I finally got around to putting it here. My photo is placed under the definition of procrastination in the Websters dictionary!

AND

If when eating this dish, you don't look like this-----> mad , you should have added more peppers! p p laugh laugh laugh

#8005 February 13th, 2007 at 07:21 PM
Does that ever sound good Mater.......i love Jerk Chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8006 February 13th, 2007 at 07:57 PM
thumbup mmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds so yummy, I just need to get all the stuff to make it! And I am your fellow procrastinator Mater, so I understand the delay! Thank you for posting your recipe for all of us to enjoy. I can't wait to try it, although I may have to lessen the Habaneros, I like a medium hot, not a searing hot! laugh p

#8007 February 14th, 2007 at 03:45 AM
This sounds excellent! thumbup I will definitely be trying this!

#8008 February 16th, 2007 at 12:43 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by penny in ontario:
Does that ever sound good Mater.......i love Jerk Chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly!!!
That sounds soooooooo good..

#8009 March 5th, 2007 at 03:04 AM
Mater- you need to come make this for me!!! I'll buy the beer and ingredients- You cook. Sounds fair to me! thumbup Can't wait to try this!!!

#8010 March 5th, 2007 at 05:26 AM
OP Offline
p p laugh laugh

#8011 March 5th, 2007 at 08:11 PM
That'd be some marinade with you marninating for 24 hours too laugh laugh laugh laugh p

#8012 March 6th, 2007 at 05:50 PM
Jerk chicken is famous even in the UK. But you can't get a decent recipe. Mater, I tried this. Can I have your autograph please? IT IS SUPERB. (I used 5 garlic but only three bonnets. I am chicken - LOL).

#8013 March 7th, 2007 at 01:58 AM
OP Offline
Webwise, I am happy to hear you like it.

There are some excellent recipes in this forum from some cooks that are much better than I am.

Hmmmm....let's see........autograph......??????

idea idea idea

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh laugh

#8014 March 7th, 2007 at 12:00 PM
laugh laugh laugh I don't go through the recipes to offen ... But this one sounds really good... Need to go on a pepper hunt! thumbup

#8015 March 8th, 2007 at 01:39 AM
I love Jerk Chicken, kissies

#8016 March 9th, 2007 at 02:59 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Hey. I don't think we should be belittling or putting down out Jamaican friends, calling them, "Jerks" or other derogatory names, mon. They are FINE people who have given us Bob Marley, Rastafarians, not to mention those bifg, floppy, colorful, beret-like hats that are just GREAT for storing things in. So let's here it for the Jamaicans! Montego Bay rules, Mon!

Link Copied to Clipboard