This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79989 October 12th, 2006 at 08:44 AM
OP Offline
There's a really good tip of the day on the Burpee site today - it says to save leaves in plastic bags for summer, when the compost pile needs dried carbon materials.
I sure would like to get into composting. But it will have to wait 'til I have a real yard.

#79990 October 13th, 2006 at 10:24 PM
Yes, this is a very good tip. The composter will process dried leaves rather quickly too if you keep it turned.

Try vermiculture if you have very limited space. Some cultures can be small enough to fit under the sink. If you are a gardener, you are missing out on great free fertilizer by not composting your kitchen scraps. Compost adds micro-nutrients and good-guy soil microbes that chemical fertilizers just cannot provide. The castings from a vermiculture bin are outstanding as well. It's a slightly different process but the results are virtually the same.

#79991 October 14th, 2006 at 09:50 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Deborah,
Another tip to semi~go along with yours is..
You can keep sawdust and/or woodchips in a 5 gallon bucket like *with some holes in the bottom* next to the compost bins/piles....
That way they are left out into the elements..
*ie: rain, sun, etc.* and starts to break down in the bucket... then when you need it, it's already started the breaking down process...
*but it does take a longer time to break down that kind of stuff.. but to leave it out, starts the process earlier so it doesn't take it as long in the bin*

I also take out my compost early sometimes when I need the bins to reload.. and put that stuff into a garbage bag to finish up in there and keep it in my basement.. so, it doesn't freeze solid over the winter...

That helps alot to get a jump on spring sifting for my seed starting mixes...

#79992 October 15th, 2006 at 12:32 PM
I have an old burn barrel that has the bottom gone, I put wood chips, bark pieces and sawdust only in it, occasionally I bury some kitchen scraps down it with hopes of helping it to break it down quicker, but in time it will and is out of the way and even if it takes forever it will be useful one day.

Link Copied to Clipboard