This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
Hi there, I am new to the site.

On April 1st I am moving into a new (to us) house that has a smaller veggie and herb garden. The land owner doesn't know exactly what was planted in the garden and his previous tennant has moved out of country.
As it is right now it looks to me as if it is just some flattened dirt so my questions are these..

Are vegetables/herbs a one shot deal or will I have to re-plant? Im assuming that maybe some types re-grow and some don't but I've never had a garden so I really wouldn't know..lol..

Just say they do not re-grow, what are the best/easiest vegetables to plant at this time of the year.. I work part time to be home with my kids and I want to start the gardening now while keep it pretty simple until I get a half decent grip on it.

I've been browsing around the site a bit and I have already learned a few things but Im still pretty lost right now..Any input is greatly appreciated..Thanks

Their are some others here from Canada that can help you better on this. I am not sure what grows good in our area.

Some things come back...asparagus, for one. Any herbs you don't see likely won't come back, although most things reseed...but that's not anything to count on. Does it look like the dirt has been worked? Is it bare?

Canadian here, because of our cold zones. It is going to be a total replant. Do you know your frost dates for your area? Also your soil might need to be reworked and some extras added in. Can you give me a little more info please.

May I adjust my info? From what I can see you are in between zone 6 and maybe zone 7. Are you near Chilliwack?

Your weather is moderated by the Pacific Ocean and it seems you have some of the mildest winters in the country with 200 frost free days.

Check to see if you have any strawberry plants. Those are keepers. It seems that the Fraser Valley accounts for 95% of the strawberries grown in BC. 25% of what is used in Canada.

What size is the garden area?

I agree with peppereater...If you don't see evidence of herbs..then there proable are none. Any that survive the winter, will show you either a grassy type clump or plant material that looks maybe dead, or a sunk in little hole or area, if you see any of these things, then there are herbs that are possiblely still fine once the ground warms up more.

Bet you can plant lettuce, cabbage, potaotes, and radishes for sure.

N
OP Offline
N
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

peppereater - It really does just look like flat dirt, Im not sure how else to describe it.. It look like there is some sprouting of unknown things here and there but other than that it really does just look like a big square clump of dirt. Not packed flat though..

tamara - I really wish I could give more info and yes I am about 20 minutes west of Chilliwack.
Luckily I know what strawberry plants look like and I sure would be happy if I had those..hehe

And the garden area is about 15 x 10 feet but it is divide in 4 seperate sections with wood.. Not sure what it is like that, but that is the way the previous tenant set it up.. Maybe some things can't grow in the same area?

I didnt realize that there was so many things to take into account.. I now realize how truly clueless I am...haha

I think it will be great though. I have always wanted a little garden but since we have been renting for the past few years I really didnt want to invest time or money into getting it all set up and then just leaving it. Since it's already set up I might as well just go for it!

Thanks again everyone!

nOOb...sounds like raised beds. This guy probably prepared that soil pretty well. Are there paths between the wooden borders?
I'd plant some radishes, lettuce, spinach right away, if you want a few potatoes plant 'em now...and stay in touch! Get some seed starting mix and a seed tray or two and get broccoli and cabbage started, or buy some plants to set out, that would be ideal.

Dave, have you already planted your potatoes, radishes, lettuce, and spinach?

hey,how about some peas?

wavey excellent advice palies! I'm always proud of our members here.

Welcome noob.What would you like to grow?
Lots of herbs and veggies do great in containers.
Strawberries too.

I wish you were my neighbor,I've got about 80 plants to give away.

Shari

N
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by peppereater:
nOOb...sounds like raised beds. This guy probably prepared that soil pretty well. Are there paths between the wooden borders?
I'd plant some radishes, lettuce, spinach right away, if you want a few potatoes plant 'em now...and stay in touch! Get some seed starting mix and a seed tray or two and get broccoli and cabbage started, or buy some plants to set out, that would be ideal.
Yes, they are raised and there is paths in between. Thats good? Unfortunatley we don't live there yet so I can't plant anything until April 1st, is that to late to plant? Im going tommorow to buy the seeds for everything veggie suggested in this thread...lol

N
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by duckie:
hey,how about some peas?

wavey excellent advice palies! I'm always proud of our members here.

Welcome noob.What would you like to grow?
Lots of herbs and veggies do great in containers.
Strawberries too.

I wish you were my neighbor,I've got about 80 plants to give away.

Shari
I would like to grow mostly vegetables, preferably tomatoes, onion, peppers (grn, red, yell. and orange) carrots, cucumber, zuchinis, jalapeno peppers, brocoli, cauliflower..
My fiance is a type 1 diabetic so we eat ALOT of veggies, it would be nice to be able to catch a break in the wallet and use our home grown veggies.

J
J
Originally posted by n00bGardener:

My fiance is a type 1 diabetic so we eat ALOT of veggies, it would be nice to be able to catch a break in the wallet and use our home grown veggies.
Sounds like plenty of reasons to learn how to save your own seed also!

Hi nOObgardener wavey
I have to chuckle a little bit here...it's kinda' funny how people think that we live in igloos here in Canada.
You are in zone 7b (I'm pretty sure). All the vegetables you said you wanted to grow will do wonders in your zone!!! Now is the time to start from seed if you want..but it sounds like you're going to be busy with working, kids, moving, etc. You can always buy the plants you want at a garden center and plant them, I'd say, at the beginning of May. Onions, carrots, broc, and cauliflower can be planted as soon as you move. They tolerate cooler temps just fine. And by then, you'll see what perennenials (plants that back every year) you have. They will have started to grow by then. If you're unsure of what something is, just take a pic and post it in the mystery plant section and someone here always knows what it is!! You came to the right place! Good luck and please keep us posted.
Christina

Originally posted by ChristinaC:
Hi nOObgardener wavey
I have to chuckle a little bit here...it's kinda' funny how people think that we live in igloos here in Canada.
When I was in the Army and told everyone I was from Kansas, all they could think of Dorothy and Toto.

Originally posted by Amigatec:
[b] Hi nOObgardener wavey
When I was in the Army and told everyone I was from Kansas, all they could think of Dorothy and Toto. [/b]
I was born in Kansas...So I understand about the Dorothy and Toto thing, But I never have thought people in Canada lived in igloos, some people really believe this????

If you can post a picture of your garden area, It would help a great deal.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah i would love to see it! wavey

I was being a little sarcastic about the igloo thing, I apologize for that. But I have found that some people look at Canada as always being cold and snowy. That's all I meant.
I also have to admit, that when I hear Kansas..I automatically think of Dorothy and Toto. laugh

And they used to ask me if we had running water.

And they used to ask me if we had running water.
You had running water????? laugh laugh laugh

Ok..we are off the topic, so back to it:

n00bGardener If you could post a picture of the garden area it would help us to help you and figure out what if anything might be already growing there.

N
OP Offline
N
Hi nOObgardener wavey
You are in zone 7b (I'm pretty sure). All the vegetables you said you wanted to grow will do wonders in your zone!!! Now is the time to start from seed if you want..but it sounds like you're going to be busy with working, kids, moving, etc. You can always buy the plants you want at a garden center and plant them, I'd say, at the beginning of May. Onions, carrots, broc, and cauliflower can be planted as soon as you move. They tolerate cooler temps just fine. And by then, you'll see what perennenials (plants that back every year) you have. They will have started to grow by then. If you're unsure of what something is, just take a pic and post it in the mystery plant section and someone here always knows what it is!! You came to the right place! Good luck and please keep us posted.
Christina
I seriously can be in there planting the same day I move...lol, that is just how excited I am..I'm happy that they are good for my zone! What is the price difference between seeds and actual plants? I picked up a shift at work this weeks so I wasn't able to get down to buy seeds yet. Now Im pondering maybe buying some plant and some seed.. Duh

N
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by johnCT:
Originally posted by n00bGardener:
[b]
Sounds like plenty of reasons to learn how to save your own seed also! [/b]
Oh lord, that's a whole other issue for me..hahah..But it is something I probably would like to do.. Do I do that when the plants start to die??

N
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by comfrey:
[b]
[b] Hi nOObgardener wavey
When I was in the Army and told everyone I was from Kansas, all they could think of Dorothy and Toto. [/b]
If you can post a picture of your garden area, It would help a great deal. [/b]
I wish I could but we don't live there yet... : ( eek I will as soon as I can though

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks alot everyone! I feel like a free-loader by asking advice and not being able to contribute anything..
This is a great board, I love you guys..*jokes*

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard