This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79311 October 6th, 2006 at 07:53 PM
R
rainie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I moved my hardy hibiscus about 1.5 months ago. It wasn't looking great when I moved it, the leaves were all but completely chewed up by some critter - it looked like swiss cheese at the time. Well, I am in zone 5, so it's been getting chilly here in Ohio and I walked over last night to check it and noticed that 1. it has no leaves left, and 2. the stalks are red. eek Anyone else see this in the hibiscus plant? Should I cut it down now? I also moved it to a rather dry area (but with good loose soil) and light shade, will it tolerate that? I also heard it is one of the last perennials to come up in the spring - any ideas on when she'll be back?

#79312 October 6th, 2006 at 10:13 PM
I've not had mine get red stems when moveing them.when you moved it did you keep it watered daily so it can get re established?They can still preform in light shade.I have one in light shade but it don't bloom as much.hopefully you collected some seeds and can grow another one.I'm not sure it will have enough time to settle its roots in.sorry I'm not much help.I know are a few hibiscus that do normally have red stems& one of their leaves have pink-red veins.A roselle type(annual)&sadbarifa(annual,but perienial for me)
What did your bloom look like& I may have those seeds.

#79313 October 6th, 2006 at 10:23 PM
A
A
You probably didn't kill it, the root system is probably still alive and that's where the new growth will come next year. They prefer consistent moisture, so you may have to give it extra water during the growing season. Mine usually start coming up in late April to early May, but it probably depends on how warm it gets in your area. Oh, and my red flowering one has redish stalks right now, too.

#79314 October 6th, 2006 at 11:41 PM
R
rainie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the reply, I forgot the name of mine, it's a red variety and I didn't let any go to seed, I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope for the best next spring... I'm glad yours has red stalks too, sounds like we have the same one. How old is yours? I've heard they will begin to flop over in years to come and need heavy pruning in the spring, what has been your experience?

#79315 October 12th, 2006 at 02:41 AM
Is this the same thing as perennial hibiscus?

My Father in law gave me seeds in May and I planted them and they came up well but it was obviously too late for them to bloom this summer.

Now mine too are looking pretty bad. Although they don't have red stalks.
But the leaves are suddenly being eaten by a small caterpillar and they look like lace. Very little leaf left.

Anyway I was assuming they need to be cut down for the summer anyhow (?), but I'm not sure if they will come back next spring with so much damage to them. I'm also wondering if they need any kind of winter protection here in NC.

#79316 November 5th, 2006 at 08:43 AM
S
S
will not need wimter protection if it is hardy. must have moist soil. late in showing new blooms in spring. will be beautifull next summer

Link Copied to Clipboard