This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#79146 November 13th, 2006 at 06:58 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I got this giant plant from my mother when I recently moved and she didn't want anymore. It's a very large plant, she has no idea what it is and I have no idea what it is. When I moved it to my house, I had to put it sideways in the back seat of my car and while back there kind of came out of the soil a little during transport (15min drive). When I got to my new place, I put it upright and by a sliding-door window so it'd get plenty of sunlight. I put it right back in the pot with the existing soil it had, but the soil was loose until I packed it down. It's basically in the same situation it was at my mom's house.

Within the last 3 months it's gone downhill significantly; looked very healthy at first, but now the leaves are folding in half and the plant looks 'droopy'. I'll admit I didn't know how much to water it seeing as how the plant is like 4 feet tall in-pot, so gave it a couple quarts a week when I first noticed it starting to droop slightly and continued for about 2 weeks after that. It continued to droop so I stopped watering it for a about 3 weeks thinking it was too much water and that it needed to dry out, but it continued to droop.

Thinking it might be too little water, I watered it about a week ago with a quart of water and then again tonight with a quart. This plant has significant value to me as my mom has had it since I was a baby (26 years old) and I'd feel horrible to kill it. It doesn't look like it's rotting at all, nor does it have any bugs. It sits in front of a window all day long, no idea what type of plant it is (7-9 inch leaves with a normal green oval/tear shape, lots of off-shoots of 1.5-2 feet off the 3 major stalks, green and white stalks, about 3.5-4 feet tall, very big and pretty), and I'd really like to save it.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Thanks a lot : )

#79147 November 13th, 2006 at 07:46 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
If you can post a picture of the plant down in mystery plant section that would get it identified. Until we can do that there isn't anyway to know how to treat it. Some plants just do not take well to any change in their environment.

#79148 November 14th, 2006 at 01:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
search for diffienbachia. it sounds like that is what it is. if that is the case, you may have over watered it. i usually water mine once a week, but only a drink (a cup or less) and if the soil is still damp, i don't water that often.

#79149 November 14th, 2006 at 10:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it could be a diff or it could be a chinese evergreen.

if you can get a pic of it, that really would be helpful.

in the mean time, if you could put it in a spot that is similar to where your mom kept it, that would probably be a good place to start. you might be giving it more or less light than it needs.

also, ask her how often (and how much) she watered it. it might need to be repotted, too.

#79150 November 14th, 2006 at 01:35 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for all who got back to me so quick : ) I'll have to charge up my digital camera and get a pic posted.

I checked out some pics of that diffienbachia you mentioned, it's similar, but without the white parts of the leaves, a little thinner leaves, longer branches, and tends to look like it's bending over slightly under its own weight.

I'll just have to get some pics, hehe. Thanks anyways.

Link Copied to Clipboard