This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Marina Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well I finally got over my laziness and got my garlic in the ground. However, I ran into a question I couldn't find the answer to anwhere.

Am I supposed to have peeled the garlic? Keep it in its parchment? Either way?

When I mulch should I do it immedieatley, let it hang out for a few weeks/days? Do I fertilize?

Thank you to anyone who knows.

Also, its 74 here today but it is Novemeber, do you think I planted waaay too late?

No need to peel the garlic its fine as it is!
as long as you just planted the cloves, and not the whole bulb laugh
I never mulch mine, but if you want to i would wait until after they have sprouted.
dont fertilize until spring either, and no your not to late.
hope this helps...

I agree with markr for the most part. I would only add that as long as your soil is fairly loose and rich in organic matter, you shouldn't have to fertilize. Although a side dressing of compost after they sprout wouldn't hurt. I use a modified Mel's Mix (www.squarefootgardening.com) in raised planters, and only mulch when the mix starts to settle over time.

O
O
I prefer mulching mine before they are sprouted. I plant my garlic in beds and it's a lot easier to mulch them before they are up then it is to wait until after they are sprouted. They do just fine. I thing mulching first also cools the soil which helps retard excessive foliage growth before winter anyhow.

L
L
Hello everyone planted two rows of garlic late in October and I mulch my the same day I use straw and they did pretty good last year got some good size bulbs enough to plant two rows of garlic and last year only had one row! Going to try shallots I heard they have a pretty good taste?Does anyone know how to plant them?Thank you Rita

O
O
I planted my shallots just last week. They say to plant them a bit later than you would garlic.
I space mine about eight inches to a foot apart, but I grow Jumbo French shallots which get bigger than the normal shallots. You could probably space smaller ones four to six inches apart.

Link Copied to Clipboard