This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78167 September 9th, 2006 at 11:42 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello:

I rescued the following plants from being dumped:
Purple Queen Setcreasea, Coleus, Sutera, Torenia Hybrid.

They came back strong this summer and are beautiful. I need to know how to take care of these plants through the winter. Would someone be able to help me with this.

#78168 September 10th, 2006 at 12:14 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Good luck with the Torenia Hybrid, they can be picky types.. *if they dry out, they only give you one chance to rewater.. if you let them dry out again, they pout and die... at least my experience with them...* and over wintering, not sure.. LOT's of light...

Coleus does pretty good, you can even take and pinch some of the longer stems off and put in water, they'll root.. any time they keep gettting lanky on you, pinch again, and put that stem into some water too..

Never tried the Sutera *Bacopa*, but try it, bring it in, keep it watered, well lit area...

The Purple Queen Setcreasea *Wandering Jew
Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart'* will do wonderfullllllllllll.. it's a great house plant..
and also can be snipped off, the stem, and roots great in water....
*has little purple/pinkish flowers*
by a window.. semi light/indirect light/full light, they're a good plant...

And we lovvvvvvvvve rescue plants...
good for you, for doing such a great job on them..
(I go to the local cemetary, and they throw out alot of geraniums there, and spike plants and such.. so, rescues are a good thing!)

#78169 September 10th, 2006 at 12:17 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
MsBlueswoman/Diane,
Where are my manors'???
Welcome Aboard, we're glad you found The Garden Helper's Forum...
Ther'es sooooo much to do here, don't forget to check out all the other neat sections we have here... there's lot's to do, thru every season and holiday and where is Independence?

#78170 September 10th, 2006 at 02:04 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I live where Harry S. Truman was raised. Right to the east of Kansas City, Missouri. Home of the KC CHIEFS. Thank you for the information. They just turned out so well after I found them and kept watering and I gave them miracle grow. I have been wandering for a little while and just wanted to ask. Thank you again for the all the help

#78171 September 10th, 2006 at 03:33 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hope you'll keep us posted on how they are doing..
We cool love thumbup

*I'm about an hour South of The Buffalo Bills*
And a good portion of the family loves The Chicago Bears!*

I am hoping some other gardener's will come thru that have over wintered the other two plants
*torenia and bacopa* and see if they have any tips for you to get them thru the winters...

Link Copied to Clipboard