This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77752 September 15th, 2006 at 07:06 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I have these Coleus plants in my flower landscape area, you nice folks identified them for me earlier...I am not sure what will happen to them next spring.

Are these an annual or do I have to repeat plant?

Thank You
Bob

#77753 September 15th, 2006 at 08:02 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I used to have lots of coleus at the farm...got cuttings from my grandpa before he died. I planted them outside in the spring and they were beautiful...they spread all over the place!

In the fall I cut bunches and bunches of them and put them in water in the house...and when they rooted I'd pot them up...ready to plant back outside the next spring.

grinnnn

#77754 September 15th, 2006 at 08:07 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Bob,
They are definately an annual...
They will not with stand frosts..

but you can take a couple of stems,
put them in some water and they'll root...

Put them in the window sill, bright sunny light..

They might get a wee~bit spindly....
*and you can even repinch those on'es and put those into some water*
but they should come out and regrow by spring time...
Some will do better than others just remember..

#77755 September 17th, 2006 at 07:46 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi Bob,

You can keep a coleus several years if you are willing to keep it inside anytime the temperature is going to go down to 55 degress or less. They are a tropical which is why they make such great house plants. If you want to keep one for several years you need to be very careful to pinch off the flower heads the moment they form so the plant doesn't create seeds which signals the end of it's life span.

And yes cuttings are very easy to take and keep indoors. That's what I did with my big one this year because I don't have a pot big enough to be able to bring it indoors. So one of it's cuttings now has pride of place above my tv.

Some coleus require less light than others. Mine will get a wider band on green on the outside of it's leaves in a low light area but doesn't suffer other than that. I've had other kinds that die if not in direct sunlight.

Enjoy your plants.

Link Copied to Clipboard