This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I would love to put some landscape lights along my walk way along with a few spot lights... My dh has usggested that we look into Solar powered lights, I am afraid however that the solar powered lights wouldnt work well for us because of the amount of shade we have.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks so much!!

The solar powered lights only emit enough light to mark the path, but they are quite robust and last a long time. They'll need about 5-6 hours minimum of full sun to charge properly thru the day.

I have some in the backyard and they do seem to work well. I have them in full sunlight, and they will shine all night.

Longy is right they are not real bright, but it will mark the path for you.

Yep me too I've had mine for 3 years and they are still kickin..
Biglots 15 bucks for 4. thumbup

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have 16 of them in my yard and I love 'em! I leave them out all year long and I've had about half of them for at least 3 years.....Bought them at Walmart for 18 something for a 4 pack of them.

My mom and dad just bought a whole bunch of them the other day, they decided to get rid of the electric ones they had and just use the solar.

I'm not sure how shady your area is, but even in my shady areas of the yard they work fine....

OP Offline
Thanks guys! Guess when I go back to Big Lot's this weekened I'll pick up some to try.

Oh and as for them not being bright.... thats fine! We have a hot tub in the back and my dh loves to sit in there late at night to star gaze , so he would have a fit if I had anything that put off much light wink

I want to put up some to have a soft glow along the walk way and possibly a somewhat bigger light to light up my fountain.

Anywhoo wink I'll give them a try!!

Thanks for your input!

starla, how'd they work out for you? I love mine. Just enough glow to not trip on the garden edge.

K
K
You get what you pay for.

J
J
We have solar lights throughout the back yard. Some of the yard is full sun, some part sun, other parts mostly shade. The lights emit on different levels with the ones receiving sun most of the day emitting the most. I notice the ones in full shade light up initially, then go out around 3AM. Having said that, I wouldn't change them, as they are very cost efficient, and the lights for the most part are on the majority of the time.
smile

Was just at our BIG LOTS here and they had a set of 10 for $18!!! Hope you can find them at your BIG LOTS. We`ve had ours for four years and they`re still kicking. We love them. Sue

Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
One MORE advantage!!!! I gave some to my Daughter for her birthday (not expensive ones). She put them in her veggie garden. Since they've been there, no deer have gone in there!!!! They are low glowing, but they blink like stars. I'd like to think that's the reason why. Too bad they didn't work in the day time and scare off some of those squirrels!!!!! laugh

Mom54... Interesting, that the deer apparently avoid the lights! shk I wonder how I can make my solar lights blink! I've never heard about deer not liking blinking lights, but if that would keep them out of some of my flower beds I wouldn't care about having the pathways lit!

[Linked Image]Just for the heck of it, maybe I'll try a string of Christmas lights inside my rose bushes! (I'll let you know if it works.)

Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
I didn't know that they did blink!!!!! Christmas lights are worth a try, and besides, it'll be very attractive. They say necessity is the Mother of invention!!!!! nutz

Link Copied to Clipboard