This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77548 November 30th, 2006 at 11:26 AM
P
pumpie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi Everyone,

i just made an impulse purchase at the store - a small christmas cactus with orange blossoms. i was reading up on this site and saw that i shouldn't move it once it has buds. Obviously i didn't leave it at the store. so will i lose the unbloomed buds? what can i do to minimize the damage? i have it in a room with 2 large northwest facing windows, but across the room a little bit. any suggestions would be really appreciated. thanks!

amy

#77549 November 30th, 2006 at 12:26 PM
When I purchased mine It was half buds half blooms.I still had blooms to see,so guess the buds we're not quiet affected.They like it cool right now.They can adapt to low light,but do better in bright indirect indoor lighting from N or W.You can grow in E or S but will need like a sheer curtain to difuse the light.Mine seem to do best in temps of 50-65.Mine are mostly outdoors& indoors from Dec-March.I would think being across the room would be good as would not get a draft from the window. Things that make buds drop...over watering,drafts,cold,heat(like from radiater)lack of potash in soil.
otherwise keep soil moist,but let it dry between waterings& keep it on the dry side in winter.

I have moved mine while in bud....just the 20th I moved them& then put back& will move again tomorrow,but I also set them in the dark.My pink just looks ugly cause the dog knocked into the blanket(I just potted the broke off ones)I have a post on here of mine blooming.My red one will be blooming this weekend.

Link Copied to Clipboard