This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#77481 September 6th, 2006 at 02:08 AM
OP Offline
I bought a pot of cannas yesterday. I couldn't resist because it was on clearance for $2. I know that in my zone (zone 4) the bulbs need to be dug up, but when should I do this? Do I wait for the foliage to die and then cut it back??? Also, where should I store the bulbs?? Basement, garage???

#77482 September 6th, 2006 at 11:17 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
whichever is warmer is where I would store it. Let the foliage die back but if the temps start to approach 55 at night I'd think about lifting them even if the foliage hasn't completely die back. But I could be wrong. None of mine made it after being lifted.

Thinking about that maybe you should just ignore me completely.

#77483 September 7th, 2006 at 02:11 AM
OP Offline
Oh I am sure you know what you are doing Tammy. It is already getting into the 50's at night here. I wonder if I should lift them now??? I see that a lot of people here dig them up every year and plant them in spring and do they do great. I just hope mine can do as well.

#77484 September 7th, 2006 at 02:25 AM
I'll ask my mom tonight, she has a lot of these and I am going to start planting them next spring. She has more than what she knows to do with! I'll get back to you...we are Minnesota/North Dakota people too! Cold!

#77485 September 7th, 2006 at 02:28 AM
OP Offline
That would be great Patty! I just don't want them to die!!! What kinds does your mom have? These are my first cannas and I would like to get more varieties.

#77486 September 7th, 2006 at 02:29 AM
I just drag my pots into the basement which is 50-60 degrees in the winter.

Give them half a glass of water about once a month. By March they are coming up. I put them outside at the end of May and by the end of June beginning of July I have flowers.

I know many people dig them up dry them put them in paper bags. I guess my way and the paper bag works. But dirt and some moisture works for me.

If you do not want to bring in the pot a ziplock bag or plastic shoping bag with some soil would work also. I try to simulate the growing conditions vs dried bulbs.

I have some of the cannas I grow in the album below.

#77487 September 7th, 2006 at 02:30 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Don't worry about them doing well they are very adaptable. They like water and full sun and can even be planted beside a pond or bog. Give each one at least 18 inches because they have lots and lots of babies and should be divided about every three years like most plants that can be propogated by root divisions.

#77488 September 7th, 2006 at 02:36 AM
OP Offline
So, how do I dry the bulbs?? I don't mean to sound so ignorant, but I want to make sure I do this right.

#77489 September 7th, 2006 at 02:37 AM
OP Offline
Beautiful cannas cinta! That makes me want more of them! I will have to look for more varieties. I will also have to look to see what mine is called.

#77490 September 7th, 2006 at 03:09 AM
Oh yah - My mom has the tall red ones. I had never seen them before my mom started them 2 years ago, now I see them everywhere I go! I want the small yellow ones - those are pretty.

#77491 September 7th, 2006 at 03:12 AM
OP Offline
The small yellow ones are very pretty. I just got some of the tall pink ones. Yes I did notice that the clock is wrong.

#77492 September 7th, 2006 at 11:09 PM
Originally posted by plantqueen:
So, how do I dry the bulbs?? I don't mean to sound so ignorant, but I want to make sure I do this right.
I am sorry I did not explain the drying process.

You can leave them outside until the frost kills the leaves. They will turn brown. Cut the leaves off. At this point you have two choices.

1. Rinse the soil off the bulbs and put them in a styrofoam box with some peat.

2. This is my process, Rinse them off put them in small pots with clean soil and bring them in to a cool place 50-60. Water 1/2 glass of water about once a month or every two months. You do not want them wet just enough water so the bulb does not dry out.

#77493 September 7th, 2006 at 11:12 PM
OP Offline
Thank you cinta! I'm not sure which way I will try yet! Thanks for your help though!!! ND farm girl....I am interested in hearing how your mom does it since she would be in the same area as I am.

#77494 September 8th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
PQ - Just talked to my Mom, she said she waits until it starts to get cold and she's cleaning up her flowers for the year, digs up her cannas, knocks the dirt off, puts them in a box or a paper bag and puts them in the basement. That sounds easy! thumbup

#77495 September 8th, 2006 at 09:00 AM
P
P
i really dont think you want to actually DRY them.
just dig em up,wash as much dirt off themas tou can , and store them above freezing in some type of container that wont let any light thru.
you dont want them sprouting till they get planted either in pots or in the ground.
if they dry out they might not be viable the next year. they keep well,just dont save any that dont look good when you put them up.
it will save you a lot of dissapointment when you plant them next year.

#77496 September 8th, 2006 at 03:15 PM
Yes you do not want them to dry out. Everyone has a different way of storing them.

I started keeping them in the pots in the cool dark basement with little water for two reasons.

1. I have a short growing season. I wanted to see them up and blooming before Aug. We usually get cold by Sept.

2. When I waited until the end of May to get them started they were so small all of June and July it was not giving me the bang I wanted for my garden and pots that I use them for on the Patio.

I try to keep my tropical plants in a semi-sleep. Just as they would be in a zone 7. They do not start to grow inside when they are cool until March-April. It is like they have an internal clock that it is time to wake up. When the pots go out in May they are ready to take off. I have instant plants in 3 wks instead 2 mos.

#77497 September 8th, 2006 at 08:17 PM
OP Offline
Okay.........maybe I will do half and half and see which way works better for me. Thank you all!!!

#77498 September 8th, 2006 at 08:50 PM
Ok what is this semi-sleep ? I got some canna seeds and not sure if I should put them in the ground now or wait till spring.
Diane

#77499 September 8th, 2006 at 09:10 PM
OP Offline
I believe you should wait until spring Diane because they can't take much cold. I have been told to dig them up when it cools down and store then in your basement either in a paper bag or in a pot of fresh soil and only give them about a 1/2 a glass of water every month or two. If you read above, it is explained in better detail. Good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard