This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76150 April 4th, 2006 at 05:23 AM
E
edna Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi everyone,

My aloe (I've had it for about 10 years) got too heavy for it's pot the other day as it was growing lopsided on the edge. We heard a ripping sound and then the whole plant fell to the floor. There were no little [/LIST] [/LIST] roots on the end, just one long central stem/root.

I have re potted it in soil (regular soil I had some store bought tulips in). But now it has slowly turned a sickly yellow tint and some of the bottom arms (leaves) are losing their thickness and turning brown on the ends. I fear it is dying a slow death.

I think maybe the roots were ripped off with the fall... any ideas how to save my lovely aloe?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Edna

#76151 April 4th, 2006 at 06:50 AM
The only thing i can come up with would be lots of care. Water it a little more then usuall for Aloes. I don't know if fetilizer would help at all because it ashouldn't be used as a remedy, but you could try blood meal. Thats just my two cents. ~Alex

#76152 April 7th, 2006 at 07:46 AM
R
R
Hi,

This is why I'm here too (my first post, so hi! wavey )...

My aloe vera plant, about 2 years old and approx 18 inches across, needed repotting as it had sprouted 5 babies and the pot was rather full. So I repotted them all.

NOW: 3 of the babies have lost their roots - how do I rescue them please?

AND: the mother plant's "leaves" are no longer full and succulent, they're going brown/yellow with brown tips. Even the new stem shoots are coming through like this ters

The ONLY thing I did different to before was repotting. It's watered extremely sparingly, it's on a south facing windowsill...it was flourishing well before I repotted ters

How can I rescue my lovely plant, please?

Thanks in advance wink

#76153 April 7th, 2006 at 11:05 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
there are over 200 variety of aloe. One of the main differences is the root system. One has little tiny roots and one have big thick tap root type thing that grows shallowly. I have the variegated aloe and it has the thick roots that grow shallowly. I have about 80% gravel and 20 percent potting soil in my container. That's because I didn't have any cactus potting soil when I repotted.

As I know you all are aware aloe have dormant cycles sometimes several times a year. When it is dormant it needs almost no water and when it is growing it can drink water once every two weeks or so depending on the size pot you have it in. The only two things that I know of that will cause your symptoms are overwatering/poor drainage or sunburn.

#76154 April 8th, 2006 at 11:19 PM
I agree, it sounds like both of your plants are drowning. I do not water my aloe and jade until I see the leaves start to shrivel. I am a bad plant mommy. I am not a waterer. That is why dessert plants work good for me.

#76155 April 9th, 2006 at 01:09 AM
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/aloe.bmp[/img]
I have an aloe problem too. that pic is what it use to look like. It sprouted some babies and now it's lokking "droopy"

#76156 April 9th, 2006 at 04:01 AM
WOW Phoenix - that looks just like one of mine!

I've been nursing this plant along for many years - it has special significance to me, as my father gave it to me from a family member who died from breast cancer. I only have a small piece left of it, and am hoping to keep it alive. It has gotten a few tiny babies, but none of them grow past that stage...

#76157 April 9th, 2006 at 04:11 AM
I'm real worried that mine is "passing" sca . It has started to lean over to 1 side and no matter how I try to prop it back up it still leans.
Yeah I hear you, I thought Hey great look at all the babies I can give them away as x-mas gifts!!!
Everyone I gave one to called me and told me their plat was dead! shk mad shk

#76158 April 9th, 2006 at 09:52 PM
M
M
My only advice is more sun and less water. These plants come from the Canary Islands, just west of Morocco. You can't give them too much sun. No roots/not enough roots to hold them firmly in the ground is beacuse the roots rotted from too much water. They need a very quick draining soil and LOTS of sun. Tight pots are ok, too.

Link Copied to Clipboard