This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7572 November 22nd, 2003 at 12:11 AM
OP Offline
On one of our adventures last summer we spent so time at a farm that was very enviromentally minded, anyway one night one of the people there who had worked as a vegan chief made us a stir fry and salad with day lilies!

Oh, my goodness I would never have thought that they could be so good! Move over lettuce, mmmmm lilies! I couldn't get enough all summer! I would see someones beautifull bed of lilies and get hungery!

any other flower eaters out there? I also tried some nasturum and pansy's but they just don't live up to those lilies! cool

I actually stopped by my grandmothers one day and she wasn't home and eat about a third of her lilies! I had already eaten all mine!

#7573 November 22nd, 2003 at 12:45 AM
I haven't tried flowers myself, not yet anyways, but I did see a thing on the Food Network about using squash flowers. In very traditional food in one part of Mexico they eat the squash blossoms as a delicassy. They looked really good.

Quick funny story...one of my close friends has a pretty little garden and grows both flowers and veggies intermingled in her beds. She told her hubby to go pull out a green onion for dinner and throw it on the grill, which is one of his favorite treats. Well, he did what she asked, washed it up, threw it on the grill with the steaks with some oil, all was good. He was about halfway through and finally said something to her about the onion not tasting quite right, it must have not been good yet. Well, she took a closer look at it and he had eaten about half of a Dutch iris bulb. laugh Apparently, it tasted okay just not as good as an onion! We still tease him about that one. grinnnn

#7574 November 22nd, 2003 at 01:07 AM
OP Offline
I must specify... day lilies!

#7575 November 22nd, 2003 at 06:12 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have heard of the pansy's and nasturtiums...
But have never eaten them.
Borage, which is not only a beautiful
blue flower, tastes like cucumbers,
Nasturtiums have a peppery taste (I hear)
Calendula's and roses too!!

There's alot more too!
Weezie

#7576 November 22nd, 2003 at 06:23 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Nastursiams (sp) definitely have a peppery taste! I nibbled on one after my uncle dared me! Yucky poo poo!

Heard you can eat the weed Purslane as well! No I didn't try that after he made me eat that other yuck!

I will stick with plain old lettuce thank you very much!
kit

#7577 November 22nd, 2003 at 06:23 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

#7578 November 22nd, 2003 at 06:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try as I might I just can't imagine eating flowers.....lol They are too pretty for me to eat....... flw

#7579 November 22nd, 2003 at 04:40 PM
OP Offline
This site a amazing, it's an adventure in itself, just wonderfull! I was searching for more knowledge in jade last night and was amazed at the number of times I ended up back here! wink

I love researching edibles and identifying them! One of my girls favorite games is identify the plants! We go out into the bush and I show them pics in field book and they run off to find them!

I'd like to think that if I ever got lost in the bush i'd be having a buffet and be surrounded by resourses to take care of my family!

Did you know that a clean spider web but into a bleeding wound helps to clot the blood and stop the bleeding! grinnnn

Plantain takes the itch out of bug bites and is an antiseptic as does Jewel weed due to the tannin(sp) content, alot of plants with yellow colourng to the roots do!

Ok I'm done babbling know!

#7580 November 22nd, 2003 at 04:45 PM
At our local Gelson's Mkt, in the fancy produce section, you can buy bags of edible blooms for your salad....Noooo, not me. Little too "out there" for my taste. Tried my nasturtiums, too..peppery, bitter...yuk.

#7581 November 22nd, 2003 at 04:53 PM
OP Offline
I agree I tried my nasturtiums and they were yucky! Day lilies are so yummy! wink

#7582 November 22nd, 2003 at 04:55 PM
My day lilies are getting ready to bloom. I'll give 'em a nibble... smile

#7583 November 22nd, 2003 at 05:18 PM
OP Offline
Ready to bloom!
I think that is so unfair! It's been snowing then raining then snowing! The kids even go a snow day from school and they don't had them out lightly here!

#7584 November 22nd, 2003 at 05:20 PM
Hey, plants lose their minds in calif. They get confused...

#7585 November 22nd, 2003 at 05:28 PM
OP Offline
My flowers arn't confused, they are all dead and under foot of leaves that I never got picked up so I threw them on the gardens! Oh, wait I have some icicle pansies that just refuse to die! Thoses pansies where convered in snow mosst of last week and we got one warm day and the darn things blooomed again! Now that just dosen't seem right! frown It's 1 c here right nkow, just hovering above freezing!

#7586 November 22nd, 2003 at 05:49 PM
Brrrrrr! I wanna put on my snuggies just reading that...

Link Copied to Clipboard