This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75831 April 25th, 2006 at 10:58 AM
L
LoriB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I met a lady this weekend who said she successfully used "worm gold" buried around her plants to eliminate white fly (it took some time). Has any one successfully tried this? I have a big hybiscus by the front door that gets really yucky in white fly season. She said the worm gold eventually makes the plant taste bad???

#75832 May 7th, 2006 at 01:11 PM
Lori,

What is worm gold? It's a shame you've gotten zilch as a response because my shitefly (excuse me whitefly) problem has grown to gargantuan proportions. They attack herbs with a ridiculous abandon and they killed my kalanchoe last year.

#75833 May 8th, 2006 at 12:05 AM
I think Lori is referring to worm castings, the produce from a worm farm.
The reason it would be of benefit in keeping pests away from plants, is that it is good for plants. It feeds them just the right amount of nutrient. It's the perfect organic fertilizer. In the case of making a plant "taste bad" to pests, a good supply of potassium causes plant cells to strengthen and toughens them up, making them less palatable to pests. That's why a healthy plant grown in rich, healthy soil doesn't seem to get attacked as much as one which is struggling in poor, unimproved soil.

So i imagine that's an explanation for Lori's hibiscus too, and your herbs. To get the soil in good condition, so the plant can protect itself. Feed the soil. Water the soil. Protect the soil. Grow soil. Let the plant grow itself.

#75834 May 11th, 2006 at 07:32 AM
Okay, so I know the soil around my rental needs help, but I need more info on cheap ways to feed it. My landlord doesn't really care what I do, so long as I don't kill anything preexisting (and no compost pile on the lot), but he also is not interested in spending money on the property. Any suggestions?

#75835 May 11th, 2006 at 08:52 AM
Get some worms snap you can keep them in a rubbermaid container with some newspaper and feed them coffee grounds and just about any leftover in your house but meat they consume quickly and are terrific for your garden.. there are several posts in the organic section you should check it out!

#75836 May 11th, 2006 at 11:30 AM
I know the soil around my rental needs help, but I need more info on cheap ways to feed it.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mulch the whole lot with sheep manure. Cover with another type of mulch if you want a different type of appearance. Keep moist and next spring your soil will be full of life. Keep the manures/mulch away from established plants stems by a few inches or so. Water well before and after application.

Link Copied to Clipboard