This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75768 December 3rd, 2006 at 04:45 AM
OP Offline
While out of town, say two hours away, I happened on beautiful camellia trees. Now I don't make it a practice of doing what I did yesterday, but I stopped the car and broke off several branches of the beautiful tree. flw Any suggestions?

[Linked Image]

The trees these branches came off of were really something to behold. Just gorgeous.
I learned a wee speck more today! wink

Suggestions, advice etc. etc. Comments?

BTW, I have never air layered. Are there other ways I can root these plants, particulary at this time of year?

#75769 December 5th, 2006 at 02:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure what to tell you to do this time of year, but I have a pink camellia sasanqua and I love it! Hope you get them rooted! thumbup

[Linked Image]

I was pretty sad this year, the cold made all the buds fall off and I barely got a flower...last year it was really warm.

#75770 December 5th, 2006 at 11:48 AM
OP Offline
Hey loz wavey
Your camellia sasanqua is very pretty! Looks like I may not have any luck with my cuttings. Oh well, I learned more about camellias anyway.
Sorry your blooms fell off and you saw no flowers this season. Maybe next thumbup
I once planted a camellia years back with rotte ters n luck.

Others with camellias?

#75771 December 5th, 2006 at 10:57 PM
it may be worth a try with some bottom heat from a propagator at this time of the year.
i have got them to root feb-march with bottom heat

#75772 December 12th, 2006 at 05:02 PM
L
L
I have never tried rooting camellias because I am lazy and prefer to buy the plants but the process is simple, in theory.

Cuttings should have several leaf nodes and all but the top two or three leaves should be removed. Trim the remaining leaves by about half or less to reduce the chances of dehydration. Make a tapering cut at the base. The branches on your picture should provide you with many good cuttings. Apply rooting hormones and fungicides per label instructions. A 4-6" deep mixture of sand and peat moss (50/50) can be used as the rooting medium. Insert the cuttings to a depth of at least 4" in a 6" deep rooting medium. Keep the rooting medium moist, not wet. Cover with a transparent plastic soda bottle to keep the humidity high (this is why you need fungicides). Keep the plants in bright indirect light. The ideal time for doing this is during the summer. 6-8 months later you should have a well rooted cutting that can be transferred into a small pot. Keep the underside warm.

Air layering is a process that involves scraping off a piece of a limb and covering it with aluminum foil (plastic wrap, etc) & spagnum moss to develop roots. After roots develop in 3-6 months, you cut off the limb below the original scrape, soak in water and then plant. Remove excessive plant buds on the first year as air-layered plants will bloom on the first year. Note: because the limbs in your picture are not attached to the plant, you cannot air layer with them.

Good luck, floweringchild!

#75773 December 20th, 2006 at 03:34 AM
OP Offline
markr & luis_pr,
Thanks for your input. Sadly, I pitched the cuttings soon after. Luis-pr, I'm with you, think I'll purchase the plant. wink I will post your invaluable information in my plant journal. Thanks again.

Oh, I was in the area of Ocean Springs, Mississippi this past weekend and just had to go back and take pics this time. The flower petals were dropping but did get a nice pic. Wanted to share this with ya'll. Of course the pic does not do justice to what I saw several weeks earlier. Owners trimmed down their white and fushia camellias.

[Linked Image]

Here's a close up of Camellia Sasanqua.

[Linked Image]

#75774 December 28th, 2006 at 02:19 PM
Hi floweringchild and everyone...

i m also trying to root some camellia cuttings...mine r Camellia japonica i think... but wish i had come across luis_pr's tips before i started!! i didnt do anything to da cuttings except stick 'em in some soil!!

Here's a pic of my Camellia cuttings...

yucks i cant access my photobucket...yesterday was da same! But i posted da pic some time ago in Gardener's Chat...may b u can still take a look.

Then makr advised me to snip da buds off... which i did... well da leaves r still green up to date....but m not sure if there has been any encouraging progress...didnt notice any... itz been nearly 2 months now n i wonder if there r any roots yet.....n i wonder if i should apply some fungicide s our weather has been very wet with such a lot of rains...in fact a lot of other places r experiencing very bad floods...

Link Copied to Clipboard