This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75671 December 8th, 2006 at 04:16 AM
Y
Yves Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Hi,

on my holiday to the Caribbeans I took some palm tree seeds. Does anyone know if it is necessary to soak them in water first? Or is there another special way to use in order to have them germinated?
Three years ago I also had some tropical palm tree seeds of wich only one germinated but it is such a slow grower. I guess it only produces one leaf a year. So frustrating.

Thank you in advance for your information

Yves

#75672 December 9th, 2006 at 08:34 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Here are some excerps I collected on Palm seed germination. I hope they help some.

Depending on the species, seed viability varies from several weeks to six to twelve months. Small seeds typically have shorter duration of viability. Understory and more tropical seeds likewise have a shorter time from ripening to loss of viability. As anticipated, seeds that are from more arid habitats typically have longer viability windows.

Check the seed’s general appearance. Good seeds look fresher and feel heavier in the hand. Old seeds look desiccated and feel lighter.

Check seed size. If you know what a seed is should look like and seeds received are much smaller, either you have bad seeds or another species.

Pinch Test: Viable seeds never collapse when pinched between your thumb and forefinger. If the seeds do collapse, they are either immature seeds or they are old, desiccated seeds with internal air cavities from rot to the embryo or endocarp. Discard such seeds.

Float Test: Viable seeds invariably sink to the bottom when soaked in water and bad seeds float for the reasons described above. This is providing that any outer fibrous covering layer of the seed has been removed. There are a few exceptions, but “floaters” usually do not germinate.

Remove fruit from seed.

Soak for no more than 24 hours.

A simply constructed germination box made out of styrofoam with a plastic lid can be constructed cheaply and work well. It is ideal for the hobbyist. A simple warming device such as a light bulb can be utilized.

If not utilizing a greenhouse or germination box, provide your seeds with the warmest area possible with good humidity and away from direct, hot sunlight.

Humidity levels of 60 to 70% are ideal. Avoid overly damp locations or rot will develop.

Utilize bottom heat to speed germination.

#75673 December 16th, 2006 at 12:09 PM
S
S
i love this site!
the seed site

#75674 December 21st, 2006 at 04:41 AM
Y
Yves Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thank you both for the information. It's been a great help.

Yves

Link Copied to Clipboard