This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75470 January 7th, 2006 at 01:56 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Help! I have 3 bromeliad plants in the house I live in zone 7 which gets as low as 20 degrees. However, my plants are inside. The flower part is starting to brown and lose color. They are all planted in a ceramic bowl should I replant them? There is no ability for drainage.

Thanks

#75471 January 7th, 2006 at 02:47 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
bromeliads live through the water stored in their "cup" so you don't have to worry much about repotting them ^.^ As for the flower, it lasts around 6 month and then dies off. During the time that the flower is there, it'll have babies sprouting around the edge of the "mother plant" After the flower dies, you can wait for those little baby plants to get good and established and put them in different pots if you wish. Don't keep the soil too wet though. They can survive in dry soil, and ya. Their roots are basically only there to keep them in the ground.

Good luck!
~Phoebe

#75472 January 7th, 2006 at 06:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nako's advice is generally good but I think current acceptable watering practices of Bromeliads as houseplants is to water the soil, not the cups. Unless changed frequently, water in cups will quickly so stagnant, smelly and a breeding ground for bacteria.

Cricket

Link Copied to Clipboard