This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75332 November 7th, 2006 at 12:09 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
When we lost Abigail, a close group of friends sent me a house plant so that we would always have it. I've been watering it when the soil feels a little dry and today while I was cleaning the area of the house aroud that plant, I noticed it is having problems. What does it need?? I know its a grouping of different plants...does it need a better container? Cause that's going to be hard to get out without destroying the basket...but I will do it if that is what needs done to help the plants. I CAN'T loose these plants!

The Basket (not where I normally keep it)
[Linked Image]

Closer...note the browning spot on the larger leave and the drying down further of the fern.
[Linked Image]

More drying of the fern
[Linked Image]

Brown spots on the large leaf
[Linked Image]

I don't know anything about these plants....just that the one is some kind of fern. Am I just not watering it enough, maybe??

#75333 November 7th, 2006 at 01:41 AM
Looks like it may need some more room Jenn... When they put plants together like that in the flower shops they usually over crowd them..To get the look..

#75334 November 7th, 2006 at 02:23 AM
Could the humidity be low? They may like a misting daily. Plus they do look a little crowded.

#75335 November 7th, 2006 at 02:57 AM
I was going to say the same thing, i have heard that this time of the year when we have the heat on more, instead of watering, try misting it.
Is it close to a source of heat?

#75336 November 7th, 2006 at 04:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the spots could be from over or underwatering or from crowding of the roots. i'd say, since you've had the planter for a bit, it's probably a good idea to repot everything.

looks like there are 2 of the same type of plant, a different one and the fern. they all look familiar - i don't know what they are tho.

can we put names and water/light requirements on them? (just to make sure they all have the same requirements). is that asparagus fern? regardless, ferns DO need misting.

when you repot, you can put the plants in individual pots and then place them all in a large container to keep them all together for the look. just tuck some moss around them to cover up the individual pots.

the fern would like nice by itself in that basket, too.

#75337 November 7th, 2006 at 04:08 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
It was near the heat grate in the house. I'd like to keep them in the same container if it is possible. It would make it easier when we move.

The soil is not soggy....or dry. I will start to mist it once a day......is that enough do you think??

#75338 November 7th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
The one on the left with the red veins is a prayer plant I do believe...
Maybe a boston fern the other one I had one and forgot the name

#75339 November 7th, 2006 at 05:21 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I think the third is one of those definbacka things isn't it? The ones that are very toxic? I could be very wrong. Maybe we need to put the picture down in the mystery plant section for a bit lol. I think it is a boston fern. I've tried growing them before but I don't like how they go bald in the middle as they mature. And I found separating them to be very difficult.

#75340 November 7th, 2006 at 08:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ahh, there we go! prayer plant (and a particularly pretty variety). and boston fern...that's what i meant to say!!

diffenbaccia. that's it too, i think. i couldn't recall that name earlier. i'm not coming up with anything on google for diff's tho...

k. if the heat just came on that is definitely affecting the fern! misting at least twice daily should help it get back on track.

i can certainly understand wanting to keep the display intact. absolutely! {{{jean)))

on second look at your pic, it looks like it's just one prayer plant?

how about this? split the two leafy plants - put the newbies in a pot together or seperately. then, put the remaining plants back into the basket with the fern.

you can remove/replace the plants without damaging the basket. it'll just take some careful manuvering. do you have the small tools for indoor plants? if not, just use a knife, tablespoon and fork.

lay newspaper down on your table and then carefully seperate the soil from around the edge of the plastic pot. gently insert the fork in the soil around the fern - once it's all loosened, gently use the spoon to work the fern out. do the same with the others.

once you have the plants out of the basket you should be able to take the pot out of the basket and then i'd put all fresh soil in it and then put it back into the basket.

use a sharp knife (or a razor blade) to seperate the two plants into two pieces each. i wouldn't do anything with the fern. put the three plants back into the basket planter and the two newbies in seperate pots (or together in one).

#75341 November 7th, 2006 at 01:05 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I probably didn't phrase what I wanted correctly. I don't really care about the basket itself....I just want the plants to all stay together. I realize that I probably won't have a clue as to how many of what plants I have until I take them out of the basket. Ok....

#1...can they all be put into a pot together??
#2...how big should the pot be? I have some pots that I will have to measure...I'm not sure if they'll be too big or not. I'll work on the size tomorrow (its late and I'm tired).
#3...what kind of soil do I need to get?

I'm sure I'll think of other questions later...I'm off to bed. Night! smile

#75342 November 7th, 2006 at 02:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ha! i should have been in bed long before now, myself!!

well, you can either do as i detailed and keep using the basket AND have a couple new plants that are seperate OR you can take everything out of the basket and repot them in something bigger.

you can either put them all in the same soil or put each one in a seperate pot and then put all of the pots in a larger, decorative container. you can use some sphangum moss to cover up the individual pots.

actually, i'd put them in seperate pots - they do have some different requirements:

boston fern

prayer plant

dieffenbachia

post some pics when you've got them redone!

#75343 November 8th, 2006 at 10:46 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am going to work on the plants tomorrow. Its supposed to rain all day, so maybe Lowes won't be too crowded.

Joclyn, we drove right past your exit on Rt. 422 on Saturday evening when we went to the Flyers game. I said to Stephen "I have a new friend that lives in that general direction", and he said,"oh...that's nice". ...and that was it. laugh

#75344 November 8th, 2006 at 01:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yup, the rain started a few hours ago and will continue through tomorrow - would love to be able to stay home and fiddle with the plants instead of having to go out in the rain and go to work...lucky you!!

man, i hate that 422 - very dangerous road!! hope the game was enjoyable!! (give the hubby a bop on the head for me!)

post some pics when you're done with the plants - can't wait to see what you do with them!

#75345 November 9th, 2006 at 01:02 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't mind 422 much. I HATE 76 tho. When we go to Stephen's uncle and aunt's house in Oreland, we usually just catch the turnpike in King of Prussia.

ANYWAYS, this rain is making me slow. I haven't gotten to Lowe's yet...but I will...after lunch. smile

#75346 November 9th, 2006 at 01:30 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, I got everything repotted today.....even my jade plant...anyways, here are pics of what it looks like. I ended up separating them all because I couldn't find a pot that I liked and I also couldn't find smaller plastic pots that were big enough for these plants but that would fit correctly in the large planter that i have.

The first two pictures were taken while I was trying to figure out how to arrange them on the table...I still don't know how i want them. Guess I'm going to need to get something to make the one pot higher. Anyways, here they are.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Close-up of the pot with the 2 leafy plants in it...
[Linked Image]

Here is one of the pots themselves. I really like the taller blue one.
[Linked Image]

#75347 November 9th, 2006 at 01:55 PM
The new plantings look great Jenn. I don't know about the other two but I do have a couple of the diffenbaccia's and mine do great in indirect light and away from heat. Deep watering and occasional misting. They are toxic though to people and animals so put it up where the kitties cannot nibble on it, causes the mouth to go numb.

#75348 November 9th, 2006 at 09:21 PM
The blue in the pot sets the maranta off nicely, Jenn. Those are beautiful plants...

Dianna

#75349 November 9th, 2006 at 11:10 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not sure if the pot with the two leafy plants is deep enough to keep them in for too long, but it was soo pretty that I had to get it. ...it was on sale, anyways. smile

#75350 November 10th, 2006 at 10:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the maranta will be fine in the shallow dish, the diffenbachia might need a deeper pot eventually. but they do look very good!

#75351 November 11th, 2006 at 10:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they look fantabulous!!! the blue sets off the colors very nicely!! i like the shape/size of the shallow dish, too.

i agree that the diff will need something deeper later on though. maybe, when it gets bigger, you can split it and keep a portion in the dish with the prayer plant (maranta).

Link Copied to Clipboard