This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#74434 October 16th, 2006 at 10:32 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Last year I left my jalapenos outside in the ground to see what would happen. This is possible b/c I live in Inland Southern California and a hard freeze is not very likely.

This summer I had a large jalapeno harvest and the three plants have done well. But now it's fall again and I'm wondering if the plants should be left for another year, if I should trim them back or what is best for the plant?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Plantgirl

#74435 October 21st, 2006 at 11:05 AM
P
P
peppers are actually perennials, so if you don't have a hard freeze you can just let them grow. I kept a pepper plant alive for 3 years. I don't have your nice weather, so I had to bring it in every winter. It never really thrived because it always grew spider mites in the winter. I did get peppers off of it every summer, but they're so easy to start from seed so I let it go this year. It stayed outside instead when the hard freeze hit in early October.

#74436 October 26th, 2006 at 06:00 AM
Sounds like another reason to move south when I retire. We love peppers! cool

And plantgirl - I'm jealous! We've had snow already.

Andy - N. Central WV

#74437 October 26th, 2006 at 06:51 AM
As long as it is healthy, I would let it go as it is. Maybe some pruning of leggy branches. I sure iwsh I could keep my plants going for 3 years! WOW. I am not planning on bringing any of mine in this year but may next year if I have any in planters. Lst year I was able to overwinter several pepper plants indoors and they did so well the 2nd year outside once I moved them back.

#74438 October 26th, 2006 at 08:50 AM
Originally posted by PAR_Gardener:
but they're so easy to start from seed so I let it go this year.
I agree they are easy to start from seed....But if I lived where plantgirl lives....I would keep the pepperplant going as long as possible, I'd do like Triss said prune out some of the branches...I would also prune out the inside stems...to open up the plant to better air circulation (you know shape it like you would a Jade)Leaving all the main sturdy stems and a few branches off of them.

Originally posted by garden gourmet:
Sounds like another reason to move south when I retire. We love peppers! cool

And plantgirl - I'm jealous! We've had snow already. Andy - N. Central WV
thumbup

Oh one more thing plantgirl....Be sure if you here that the weather is going to get too cold for your pepper plant (Oh and you should name it) That you go out and make a tent over your plant...something like a blanket would work good, just don't let what ever you cover it up with touch the plant. And be sure to keep us up to date how your plant is doing, if you give it a name and we would love to see a picture of it.

#74439 October 26th, 2006 at 09:42 AM
Yep, Comfrey, I have never even seen real lilacs or smelled lilacs either.
Or something pretty coming up bravely from under the snow, so many things.
The posts about driveways rolling with walnuts make me drool with envy !

#74440 October 30th, 2006 at 10:05 AM
Don't forget that pests overwinter too! Hard freeze locations don't have root knot nematodes and other baddies to worry about. It's all good.

I've overwintered peppers and found the first year's harvest to be the best, and the second year to be less than satisfactory. As a result, I yank any plants that perform poorly or that start to fade.

Link Copied to Clipboard