This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#74384 November 1st, 2006 at 01:08 AM
Lorena Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Everyone,

I have a south facing sort of triangle shape spot betweent the front and east doors of the house that needs help. The soil is really hard packed, although every year I dig it up and turn it in the spring, and add potting soil. I have a peachy yellow rose in the center of it, and wild strawberrys starting along the shady part of it to the west of the rose. The area is very shaded in the spring and very sunny in the summer, and dries out quick. I have dianthus there too in clumps where I know it to be somewhat shady all the time. I planted iris by the porch where the strawberries are, but too shady, need to move them. I'd like something tall-ish against the house, but not up to the window, it can be 3ft tall, and in the corner as well... and taper with sizes to the point, where it gets really hot in the summer. I also planted daffodils around the perimeter, and white sedum, which will be intermixed with creeping thyme as I get to it. Dahlias grow well there. roses take a year to root and then bloom the following year, I learned, and I would like something cheery in that spot. Gladiolus don't like it next to the house, too shady I guess. I put them there because of the wind.

Thanks for any replies,
Lorena

#74385 November 1st, 2006 at 09:54 AM
Lorena ,You can always amend your soil with peat moss to help retain moisture so it won't pack up so hard (I had to do that here with the clay in our soils), as well as compost, and vermiculite to make the soil lighter,
Mexican petunias Low shrub and high shrub, moon flower shrub( datura), four oclocks, salvia, Lavender, all work well for me in both semi shade, and full sun

#74386 November 1st, 2006 at 10:36 AM
Lorena Offline OP
OP Offline
Angelblossom, I have four o'clock seeds, and lavender... I'll have to look into peat moss and vermiculite... we have plenty of mulch but no real compost. Would woodashes work?

Lorena

#74387 November 1st, 2006 at 11:00 AM
Hmmm Don't know I haven't ever used wood ashes, Peat moss is wonderful in admending and the vertimulite helps circulate air in the soil, Humas/ compost can be bought as well,, altho whats really important is the the soil be made lighter so when it rains and drys out it's not so packed. PT Moss and Verti' reaaaaly does help.
And they can be bought At walmart, Kmart usually anywhere they sell gardening soils or at your local nursery.

I started my fouroclock seeds about 5 weeks ago Praying they'd get be enough to be established before Dec or Jan When It really gets cold here, So far so good... Oh How about cleomes, or red hot pokers?? They get 2-3 feet and like sun.

#74388 November 6th, 2006 at 01:39 PM
Lorena Offline OP
OP Offline
here's a photo of the area... dahlia patch

#74389 November 6th, 2006 at 01:48 PM
Lorena Offline OP
OP Offline
do you see the glads in the back nearest the house? think I'm gonna take them out and move them too, they didn't bloom this year... one or two did, that's it. .. I know I need to amend the soil too. yikes, I threw out a bunch of seed in there, not sure what might come up... poppies like it here so tried them...hmm what else? don't remember...

I thought maybe daylilies back in the corner? then iris clumps, a honysuckle on a trellis on the porch? That thing in the middle is a rose, real pretty too, pinky yellow. not specific on color, but somehow I managed to get most things in pink... good grief! need a mix, lol!

I have lavender that needs dividing, and 4 o'clock seeds to start, among many things... gosh I really need to go through my stash:)

nighty, night

Lorena

#74390 November 7th, 2006 at 02:37 AM
Lorena, I just looked at your pics on photobucket. They are nice. Do you have any of them framed? I just bought some pictures in frames and switched the pics for mine. They are already matted. I think my son was impressed. For Mom to impress a 17 yr old is something, as Mom usualy doesn't know anything.

Link Copied to Clipboard