This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#74296 May 13th, 2005 at 01:55 AM
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to save some columbine seeds, as I've had a few requests for them. I don't know where to get the seeds from, exactly.. but I'm gonna take a guess..

are they inside the closed up used up flower in this photo? Do I have to wait till it's like, dried out, to collect them??
spring%202005/columbinebuds.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Meg

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Wait until it's dried out and brown Meg!!!

That is an awesome colored columbine..

Weezie

Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
So, that little piece that looks closed up after the petals fell off.. that's where the seeds are? And I just gotta wait for them to dry out & turn brown.. cool. flw

I love the color too.. didn't know what they'd be till they bloomed.. I got them the end of last year and they were pretty much compact to the ground for fall & winter..

Thanks Weezie!

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
So, that little piece that looks closed up after the petals fell off.. that's where the seeds are?
Yep!!! thumbup

So, that little piece that looks closed up after the petals fell off.. that's where the seeds are? And I just gotta wait for them to dry out & turn brown.. cool.
Yep Meg - that will turn brown and hard.
But... as I told TK in an earlier message, you do want to watch them, because the top of the seed pod is open when dry and the seeds will scatter in the wind if you don't gather them first! It does take a while for them to turn brown and dry.

My columbines are just forming their buds - looks like a while before I'll see blooms. This has been such an awfully cold spring! :p

Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
Cool Lynne, I'll be checking them daily anyways.. so if I see them kinda opening up with the seeds, I'll shake em out into a baggie or something. wink

Meg

Meg... I just had to say how gorgeous those flowers are again -
I cannot get over the blues!!! laugh
They look so soft, and cool, and... beautiful!
What a great find!

hi Meg,

thanks for asking that ,was wondering how also.that s a beautiful one i doooo agree.

thanks to tk and Lynne for your help.

have a good one.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
my columbine has finally lost the little curly que on the top of the seed pod but it is still green. I'm reminded of the watched pot that never boils. laugh

could that be anymore beautiful!

Linda

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
My columbine is trying to be sneaky. Rather than the entire seed pod going brown the individual pods are going brown and opening one at a time.

Will someone please tell me how I can out smart it.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'm not sure if this is normal for the columbine. But the smaller pods did not make any mature seeds. So next time after it blooms would it be best to take the smaller pods and clip them off? The large pods make lots of mature seeds.

#74308 October 25th, 2005 at 09:44 AM
Usually, I find, if collecting seeds, that the smaller ones are not as vigorous come germ time the next season. I usually just collect the larger ones and leave the rest. Just my two cents worth. Lovely lovely columbine btw. Good luck.

#74309 October 25th, 2005 at 11:34 PM
This is what Columbine seed pods looks like. The seeds will stay inside the base of the pod if it remains upright... & it only takes a slight breeze (or 1 cat stalking through the flower bed!) for them to lean over & empty out, so if you want to save them you have to catch them before Mother Nature does!
[Linked Image]

#74310 October 26th, 2005 at 10:45 PM
You'll also hear them rattle when they're ready. Those are the loveliest columbines, Meg, by the way , how'd you do ? Did you collect any seeds?

#74311 June 12th, 2006 at 12:44 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Dodge,

Columbine are a short lived perennial surviving about 7 years. So chances are that your plants just died of old age. I hope you can find some more of those colors.

#74312 June 12th, 2006 at 02:05 AM
tkhooper,
Thanks for telling me......
i didn't know that....However I got a slew growing for me, from someone elses seeds.
7 years of happiness.

Thanks for telling me.
laugh laugh
dodge

#74313 September 5th, 2006 at 08:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
flw