This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#74168 December 28th, 2005 at 12:37 PM
OP Offline
Long story short, anyone who wants to know the whole story let me know. Anyhow, Grandma and myself were in Queensland, Australia 2 years ago, she picked up and "smuggled" a large seed pod (kind of like a carob bean pod) but not, Inside, after having to crack open with a hammer were two seeds that rattled inside the pod. We planted the seeds, 1 1/2 years after planting, they sprouted. Can't find any identification on them. Reminds you of a Mimosa the way the leaves are, but they are bigger and less of them in a row. Also looks like a Locust of some sort. The leaves all fold downwards and close up against each other at dusk, and re-open at dawn. I have narrowed it down to some sort of Acacia or Locust of some sort?? Maybe?? We were in Queensland, in the city of Brisbane. These trees lined the streets of the city, they were huge trees you could barely put your arms around, perhaps 100-200' feet tall. Anyone have any ideas? And, can the be put outside here in the ground. I don't even know if it freezes in Brisbane, Australia. Don't even know what to do with them, anyone want them? Sorry for not having a picture. Thanks.

#74169 December 28th, 2005 at 12:46 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
the thing about austrailian plants is that their soil is very different from ours. Or at least that's what I learned from longy. Once he sees your post he'll probably have the information you need.

#74170 December 28th, 2005 at 09:46 PM
HI JEFF I have some friends from Queensland Australia i will ask them if they can help identify the trees for you ok.and what kind of growing conditions they like.if they will grow here i would keep them.but if you do not want them i might be interested in them maybe they will grow here in alabama.i like different kinds of trees on my property i will pay postage for them if they will grow here.your friend in gardening.mike57

#74171 December 29th, 2005 at 01:35 PM
OP Offline
tkhooper and mike57,

Thanks for your posts regarding the Australian mystery tree. Hopefully I will find out what kind of tree this is. mike57, If you happen to find out if it is able to grow in your area, we can arrange something. I think it would have to be warm all year around like a Texas, Florida or San Diego, CA. type climate all year around for it to do well. I don't think it freezes in Brisbane, Queensland AU. Thanks again, and if anyone finds anything out, let me know.
Jeff

#74172 December 29th, 2005 at 11:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you have a picture of the original tree?? Or the pods themselves?? If you do please post them here. Your description of the pod sounds like a Catalpa tree. This tree is known to be native to Mississippi only. But someone could have taken a seed to Australia...or vice versa....

I observed one of these trees on the Ellwood Plantation in Virginia. The tree was said to be over 100 years old. I was allowed by the curator to take 2 seed pods. My pods were exactly as you describe your pods.

#74173 December 29th, 2005 at 11:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are some pictures on the arbor day site.
It is not very clear. I put several site links below so you can look at them and see if that is it.

http://www.arborday.org/trees/TreeGuide/TreeSuperPic.cfm?ID=130

http://www.treehelp.com/trees/catalpa/index.asp

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Education/ohiotrees/catalpa.htm

The article says the tree is native to Mississippi but is found in many parts of the US.

#74174 January 8th, 2006 at 12:28 PM
It could be a poinciana. Delonix Regia. In this case it is not an Australian native but is from Madagascar. Frost can knock them about a bit and the flowering is reduced in cooler areas.
They are semi deciduous. Lots of info and fotos on the web.
If it is an Aust acacia or similar there are literally hundreds to choose from so more info may be helpful. For example, exactly where in Brisbane were the trees?

#74175 January 14th, 2006 at 02:47 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Jeff if these are the pods she brought home, then you have a Leopard tree. I went online to ask my friend Foxy, who lives in Brisbane but she wasn't online tonight. She is one of my advisors on Ausralian flora and fauna.

Leopard tree seed Pods
[Linked Image]

#74176 January 14th, 2006 at 02:55 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I Googled it and found references to Leopard trees being from both Africa and Brazil!

#74177 January 15th, 2006 at 02:27 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Jeff, I talked to Foxy tonight and she thinks they might be Moreton Bay Figs. I googled pictures of them and they sure ARE big enough to match your description. Give them a look on Google Image Search.

Link Copied to Clipboard