This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73982 October 8th, 2006 at 11:47 AM
OP Offline
HELLO EVERYONE,

LAST WEEK-END I VE BROUGHT MY GARDENIA INSIDE FOR THE WINTER........sorry didn t mean to yell i just noticew the big letters.........well it s a good grown one(about 1 foot,maybe a little more).

it took a bath (soaked it in warm soapy water for bout 20 minutes) before going to sit in front of a south facing patio door;well i ve just noticed it has a lot of yellow leaves.

would it be because the soil is to wet ,i ve watered it just a bit in between it s bath and now.

a few minutes ago i ve put some (just to cover the top) peat moss on the soil,is that all right? please i would take any help you give me,it s really a nice plant and i would like to keep it.

also do you have any tips i could use so my cats won t chew on the leaves?

thanks very much and hope to hear from you.

Franny.

#73983 October 8th, 2006 at 10:00 PM
Hiya Franny!!!

I'm so glad you asked this question, because this very day, I am going outside to bring in my 2 gardenias! One has been in a pot all summer on my front porch, and growing very well - I'd say the branches are about 2 feet long in some spots. I had planned on pruning it back a bit, and trying to take some cuttings. Was wondering the best way to root them?

The other has been in the ground, up by the street, and pretty dry all summer. It got eaten back a few times by critters mad , and is much smaller than the other one.

I hope someone comes by soon, and answers our questions! I'd really like to be successful with them, as the one I kept indoors the entire summer got a bad case of spider mites. It seems to be doing ok for now, but I don't trust it all that much... Duh frown

#73984 October 8th, 2006 at 10:44 PM
OP Offline
Lynne,

i ve just read your kniting journal.........WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW.....YOU RE SO GOOD!........i can t even pearl properly.....and that koo;-aid color is sso nice.specially like the one for oliver s cat,with the wheel,and that ribbon scarf.

the litle bunny is so cute...maybe for the tail you could draw it,so it woulnt be dangerour for the kids.

keep up the good work ,looks like fun!!

Franny,
xoxo

#73985 October 14th, 2006 at 02:44 AM
I had one for a couple of years and this is what I did because when I brought it in for the winter it started to die.

I put it in a old aquarium with water in the gravel. It kept the humidity up perfect and no bugs. It was beautiful.

#73986 October 19th, 2006 at 09:09 AM
I have been bringing in my large gardenia now for 5 years, and it always goes through a leaf yellowing and drop. It then settles down and does well. I have it in front of a south facing slider in my kitchen. That room stays cool at night. I don't do anything about humidity, maybe the kitchen gets humid enough with cooking etc. I did just fertilize it and I sprayed it before I brought it in just to make sure it did not come in with whitefly. It is still blooming and as the blooms die away I will prune it back quite a bit. I did not turn it last winter and it only bloomed on one side this summer, so I will be turning it every other day this winter. I give it water every couple of days but I don't soak it. Mine does not like to be constantly wet. On occasion, I have forgotten to water and it has become droopy, but recovered quickly when watered. I don't let that happen very often.

Link Copied to Clipboard