This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Comfrey, I'll take those treasures over a perfect looking store tomato anytime ! thumbup
Werd! thumbup muggs

S
S
Ciao all,

I picked my first 2 Kotlas today, but waiting for Duane to get home to take a pic and taste them. Mountain Princess started blushing last week but still hasn't fully ripened. Picked 2 more Kimberleys and 4 Sungold F1's. Anna Russian, Borgo Cellano, and Not Aunt Gertie's Gold all have blush now. Not Aunt Gertie's Gold is definitely some kind of cherry. I'll have no clue what our buddy planted near them last year until they ripen, but I'm sure they'll be tasty.

Cheers,
Julianna

Well, for all of my griping about this years harvest, I do have a pretty picture to share... [Linked Image]
They look somewhat better than they taste, but they taste pretty darn good.

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Oh tasty tasty tasty.........
Lickin' my lips here in New York for those...
Those look soooooooo good!

*I did eat my first 2 cherry tomatoes today*
Woooooooo~hooooooooooooo!!!!

S
S
Ciao Dave,

I'm going to pre-empt John because I know he'll ask...German Red Strawberry, Black Plum, and..?

That would make a lovely Caprese Salad if you added some fresh mozzarella and basil...this is what I did with my Wonder Lights last year..they're kind of hollow so I made little boats out of them and stuffed them with mozzarella:

[Linked Image]

The wee basil is a globe variety called "Minette". I love it for salads and for tossing onto a pizza when you don't want huge leaves.

Cheers,
Julianna

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Ohhhhhhh geeeeeeesh, those look great, Julianna!!!!
What is the "liquid" recipe besides those
tomatoes and mozz cheese???????
ohhhhhhh yummyyyyyyyyy!!

Julianna, you're so good! The third is Bloody Butcher. I'll send you $100 dollars for 5 lbs of that mozarella.... clp

Both those plates look delicious! YUMMY!

J
J
Wow, great pics guys. No recipes for me yet. Just slicing and eating for me so far. Ate my first lucky leprechaun last night. Very good, but doesn't compare to the 5 or 6 sungolds I chased it with. thumbup

S
S
Ciao Weezie,

It's a splash of extra virgin olive oil (don't skimp here, use the dark green stuff) and a good quality balsamic vinegar, then just a sprinkling of sea salt and freshly ground pepper..that's it. Semplice (simple).

Buon appetito!
Julianna

PS Dave, don't you have fresh mozzarella in Oklahoma? No Italians there, eh? Door's open here, let me know if you're ever planning a trip to Toronto, we'll fix you up.

First Aunt Ruby's German Green today, oh great googlymooglys. I think it was even a day or 2 early. So sorry there are only a few fruits... thumbup Yummm.

J
J
Man I'm jealous! thumbup

Dave, great googlymooglies???
I'm adding that to my vocabulary ! Hilarious ! laugh

Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Dave, great googlymooglies???
I'm adding that to my vocabulary ! Hilarious ! laugh
I've been inspired by some of the other nuts around here...not naming names! laugh thumbup

Dave, what does that German Green taste like?

I want names !!! laugh

I had my first 'Jet Star' the other night with my dinner and it was great! Duh

oh great googlymooglys
Oh Dave, it's been many, many years since I've heard that expression. What a treat! It brings back a lot of memeories. smile smile

I finally get to post some pictures of my cherry tomatoes. I've been eating them off the vine as they ripe one at a time, and now they're finally ripening faster.

[Linked Image]

Boy Rosepetal, looking good.

I harvested my first and only tomato today. It is a Taxi.

[Linked Image]

J
J
Definitely a Taxi. Aren't they beautiful! Did you try it Triss?

Very pretty. Have not had it yet, it will be sliced for our dinner tonight and grace our campfire hamburgers! Should be delicious!

That is a nice looking tomato Triss!!!!

J
J
My first yellow variety was Citron Compact. Almost exactly the same. Small and bright yellow on a dwarf plant perfect for containers. It was very good too.

That is just beautiful, Triss! Is it fully ripe? Those true yellow types must be tricky to tell. I'm keeping a close eye on a Plum Lemon that's about that color.
I had my first Brandywine of the season...now I remember why it's my favorite tomato I've ever grown. I have grown them for 5 years, and will NEVER go a year without them.
Bestofour...the Aunt Rubies German Green has a very rich, intense flavor, a nice, sharp "acidy" flavor like a great red tomato, but a nice sweetness, too. Maybe the best tomato I've ever eaten with the exception of BW. I can't wait to plant a dozen of 'em next year...and the one I ate, I'm pretty sure, was a day or even 2 from being perfectly ripe! thumbup I think there may be something special about green-when-ripe tomatoes. I can't wait to try another...they are REFUSING to get ripe! laugh

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard