This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73091 October 4th, 2006 at 10:34 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I haven't had success with these yet. But if I ever get where I can try them again I will. I've gathered the following information so far but I could definitely use any hints tips or corrections you have as far as dealing with these plants.

Scientific Name of plant: Eryngium alpinum
Common Name of plant: "Alpine Sea Holly"
Indoor/Outdoor plant: Outdoor
Days to Germination: around 89 days
USDA growing zone: 5 to 9
Conditions for sprouting: Direct sow only. Place seeds on top of the soil and press lightly so they do not move when watering, some types need light to germinate. Needs a soil temperature of 68F or cooler. Chilling seeds may help with the germination but is not considered necessary.
Mature plant Care:
Lighting requirements: Full Sun
Fertilizer requirements: Average
Watering requirements: Can take drought conditions
Soil requirements: Light Sandy Soil pH:
Dead Heading: Only if not harvesting seeds
Pinching flower spikes: No
plant spacing: 18 inches
Pruning times and amounts:
Conditions for Blooming:
plant Life Cycle: Perennial
Propogation: Propagate by division, seed or root cuttings all done in the spring. Division will be difficult because of a taproot.
Height of plant: 24 to 30 inches
Color of Leaves: Green
Color of flowers: Blue
Special requirements (i.e. dormancy): Do not start indoors, they do not like to be transplanted. The can be topped after blooming to develop side blooms.
Notes: Can Winter sow

#73092 October 5th, 2006 at 01:24 AM
Tammy, I want them sooooooo bad! I've been trying for two years and only had one success from 7 bareroot plants I bought from someone (can't remember what catalog) . It bloomed that summer, then didn't come back the next year. Then I tried seeds , twice, and got nothing at all. I did try starting them inside, I have a lil mini fridge for them. I know it says not to , but I was trying them in peat pots and I figured if they did sprout I could just cut the bottom and bury them in the peat pot???? Anyway, I'm going to try direct sowing this fall again. I'll let you know .............

#73093 October 5th, 2006 at 02:46 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I have the same feelings about chinese lanterns and money plants so I know how you feel.

The germination instructions change quite a bit depending on the type of sea holly you are growing so make sure you get the botanical name for your type and then follow the directions very carefully. Pay particular attention to the "light sandy soil" I don't think these will grow if you try to start them in starting potting soil. Or regular potting soil either.

#73094 October 5th, 2006 at 07:14 AM
Good point, Tammy, I never thought about that! I knew they liked growing in the sandy soil, I just didn't think about them starting in sandy soil. idea I think I have just the right spot for them ..............I'll keep you posted .

#73095 October 5th, 2006 at 06:58 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I'll be watching.

Link Copied to Clipboard