This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72938 September 9th, 2006 at 12:14 PM
OP Offline
I'm in zone 5b/6a, near St Louis, and I've got some 'everbearing' strawberry plants I started this summer. I would like to know what I need to do in order to keep them over the winter. I'm new to growing strawberries so I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

#72939 September 11th, 2006 at 06:10 AM
I really hope someone answers your question Patti, for I'm planning on doing strawberries too. Right beside my greenhouse and any info' I can read will help me along too.

#72940 September 11th, 2006 at 03:05 PM
OP Offline
Me too, Rosepetal! wink Right now, I've got them in pots but I'm making a raised bed for them, so I was hoping someone could give me some ideas and tips for keeping them over the winter in this area. Duh

Rosepetal, I love luv your greenhouse and I'm waiting for you to post some pictures of the outside of it. wink

#72941 September 13th, 2006 at 03:20 AM
Patti, strawberry beds should be covered over with at least 2" of dried leaves or straw during the Winter months. Strawberries are very hardy, but still need to be protected where the ground freezes in the winter.

Remember that strawberry plants with established roots should be planted with the top of the crown above the soil line. plants from runners, that don't have roots yet, should be pushed down into the soil just a little bit, then kept moist so they can send roots down on their own.

Since you're building raised beds... If there's a lot of clay in your soil, you might want to get some sand to mix in with it. (Good drainage is important for Strawberries, as they don't like having their feet wet.)

Rosey, I hope you have a place to plant your strawberries where they'll get full sun all day long. They can take some shade & still do well, but the more sun, the better.

GOOD LUCK! [Linked Image]

#72942 September 13th, 2006 at 03:24 AM
Hey thanks Patty,

I read your other post as well and am saving your info' for next year too. I will be preparing the strawberry bed some what this year, but the berries will go in in spring.

Thanks again, I'll be following your advice.

Link Copied to Clipboard