This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72629 November 7th, 2006 at 08:32 AM
OP Offline
Hi. My name is Rich, and I reside in Clifton park NY. I just recently acquired an 18 yr old Aloe plant that was my grandmothers, who just recently passed. It is very important to me that I keep this plant alive. Let me start off by saying this thing is huge!!!! It must weigh 20 pounds! IT IS need of re potting, but I think I should wait for it to acclimate to my home. The plant came from Long Island NY. The water there is different than the water where I live. The water there is very soft, the water at my home is hard. How long should I wait to re-plant it? It will be an indoor plant that will be near a window all year long. It does get sunlight, but not direct sunlight. Would the aid of a grow light for a few hours at night help? I'm just afraid that to much light time, will not allow the plant to grow properly. Also, how do I remove leaves (don't know what they are called) that are not looking very well? Any info that anybody has would be great!

#72630 November 7th, 2006 at 08:43 AM
OP Offline
I also have pics of my Grandmothers plant. i just don't know how to post. Maybe somebody can help?
Tanks!!!

#72631 November 7th, 2006 at 09:13 AM
OP Offline

#72632 November 7th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
1978LespaulCustom,
Your photobucket link didn't work for me..
Can you try again?

And Welcome Aboard...
We're very glad you found us..

*and there's lot's of NY'er's here...
Stick around and do some chatting..*

#72633 November 7th, 2006 at 11:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Can anyone else view the bucket account????

#72634 November 7th, 2006 at 11:58 AM
weezie-- I get the famous "this page cannot be found" thing...

Based on your description, 1978lespaulcustom, I'd wait until spring to replant it. Give it a good cactus soil mix, that you could pick up almost anywhere. a few hours of light a day should be enough...
if a "leaf" is looking bad, I usually just trim it down to where it starts looking good again, or just let it fall off on its own-if it's too close to the rest of the plant.
About watering- I'd say maybe once every 2-3 weeks, considering they need a "dormant" period.
Hope this helps!

#72635 November 7th, 2006 at 12:09 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Lespaul...this is the only picture in your photobucket account.
I re-sized it...

[Linked Image]

#72636 November 7th, 2006 at 12:10 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Thanks Cindy! thumbup

#72637 November 7th, 2006 at 12:20 PM
OP Offline
http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/78lespaulcustom/Aloe/?

ok I hope this works. Please leave me some feedback if your able to see my pictures thanks!

#72638 November 7th, 2006 at 12:50 PM
Welcome to the forum!

If you are referring to the dried leaves you can gently just pull them off. Yes it does need repotting and I would wait for about a month to let it settle in. The biggest thing that you need to know is not to over water the Aloe, that is the quickest way to kill it, but it does require some water. When you re-pot it be sure to use a soil mixture that will allow for good drainage. The plant may get enough sun/light from the window...Just watch the plant and it will tell you when it is not happy and if it needs more light then you can always add more. For now I would just wait and let it get use to the new climate of your house, if you are concerned about the water differences, you can always buy distilled water to use to water it with. Keep us posted on how it is doing or if you have any problem or concerns about your plant...someone is always around to help out.

#72639 November 7th, 2006 at 01:05 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
ok I hope this works. Please leave me some feedback if your able to see my pictures thanks!
I see them now! thumbup

#72640 November 7th, 2006 at 01:10 PM
OP Offline
I call the plant Aloezilla!

#72641 November 7th, 2006 at 01:15 PM
That is a very good name for your plant! thumbup thumbup thumbup

#72642 November 7th, 2006 at 08:48 PM
Les- Welcome to the forum! wavey

Nice aloe! I agree with Comfrey- wait a bit to repot, but then make sure to water sparingly....only when the soil is dry. Give as much sun as possible....aloes love sun!! Best of luck to you!

#72643 November 8th, 2006 at 01:49 PM
M
M
Hi, Rich! Nice to have a name shorter than the screan name you have. You're posting questions about this plant in 3(that I've seen) threads. It's going to take more organization than I posess to figure out where to answer you. I agree with what Comfrey and Tonya say. "water sparingly.... only when the soil is dry. Give as much sun as possible....aloes love sun!" is excellent advice. The leaves you are thinking don't look so good could be suntanned. Aloe do that. How long have you had it and how much sun was it used to? Wait and see what they look like next month. As far as a grow light goes, I grow some of mine under lights and they like it. Mostly they are outside under the real sun in the summer and by a window under lights in winter. My A. Cameronii is red in the summer, green in the winter (even with lights I can't give it enough light in the winter to bring out its color). Keep your light on during daylight hours, changing it as the seasons change. Don't use it at night. plants, like you, need light and dark to thrive (their metabolism shifts to a completely different gas exchange in the dark). In all, don't worry. Aloes are more forgiving of benign neglect than too much care. Good luck and welcome!

#72644 November 9th, 2006 at 08:47 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for your reply Margaret. I have had the plant for a week well...almost a week. Since it has been home it has gotten a bit greener. It had been neglected for about 2 months due to the fact my grandmother was in the hospital and the plant was not on my aunts priority list. If I am not mistaken I think the plant was in a west window, probably a due west non obstructive. It does have some new sprouts popping up and I am charting there growth with light pencil marks on the neighboring leaves. I am hoping that I will not need the aid of artifical light. I know from my days of growing aquatic plants in an aquarium that to achieve great results involves lots of money. I don't know if a compact flourecent bulb will generate enough light, with regards to Kelvins. Also the plant is in my Din. room and I don't know if the wife would approve of a light fixture in there. Now my plant does not get direct lighting, but it does recieve sunlight in the afternoon. I have other plants in that area, that do well. I am not sure what they are, but I would guess the sunlight is sufficent. Trial and error. If I can grow aquatic plants,,,then "dirt plants" should be a breeze! LOL Thanks to all of you who have replied. Keeping this plant alive, will be a constant reminder of my grandmother. Bless you all.

Link Copied to Clipboard