This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72437 June 29th, 2006 at 07:43 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Since I can't get photo's of all the birds I now have around here all expect the hummer frown thought I would show you the male squirrel I have here fianly got close enough I could get a shot hope you can see it. Also a female and abunch of little ones around but they run. This one will sit and watch until you get within range then he runs today he acted like he wanted to fight over his food.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#72438 June 29th, 2006 at 11:05 PM
S
S
Great pics! They certainly entertaining to watch - even cute if you ignore their bulb-digging!! Yours certainly looks fat and happy and well fed.

#72439 June 29th, 2006 at 11:13 PM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
Thanks Sandy: He should I have that feeder for him you see him on as well as a corn cob feeder just to the left of that one. He also gets into my birds black oil sunflower seeds and my wild bird seed. I put out fresh corn cobs for them all the time.

#72440 June 30th, 2006 at 10:14 AM
Ya know, JV? I have a female who clings to my kitchen window screen and eats 'trail mix' bird seed...but she flat turned her nose up at some fresh corn that I had left over from dinner one night. I was just grilled inside of the husks (gas grill), do ya think she is persnickity, or does fresh grilled corn just not suit my furry friend?

She loves fresh plums tho! And I am fresh out now!

#72441 June 30th, 2006 at 03:05 PM
Jimmy, What a cute squirrel! Duh They are fun to watch. smile Sue

#72442 June 30th, 2006 at 05:11 PM
Oh Jimmy, what a cutie! wink The squirrels around here seem to look more grey than brown. They dig up my plants and bulbs, then destroy my feeders, eek but you still got to love their antics! luv They are such a joy to watch! laugh

#72443 July 3rd, 2006 at 01:49 AM
JV Offline OP
Critter Keeper
OP Offline
Critter Keeper
I was told they were red fox squirrel I don't know much about them. I do know they will pull up your your small cactus and eat them. This is first year I have seen them. Way they are clearing everything here to sit barren they probably came from some of the former wooded areas. I am thinkin gabout putting up a nest box for them my dogs don't bark at them anymore so I guess they like them.Cillinpepper I buy the corn on cob feed it to them raw I don't cook it for them. I feed only raw items to the little wild life I get.

#72444 July 3rd, 2006 at 03:18 AM
This is first year I have seen them. Way they are clearing everything here to sit barren they probably came from some of the former wooded areas.
Isn't that a shame Jimmy! thumbup I hope you do it. You know, I get mad when they dig up my plants and destroy my feeders, but I still love them luv and buy 'Critter Food' for them!

#72445 July 3rd, 2006 at 06:50 AM
Love the pix of your pet, Jim. smile I also have two corn cob feeders for the little devils and I'll sometimes put out raw peanuts for them. They are very destructive but shoot, way too much fun to watch to worry about the things they eat or tear up.

We have the Fox squirrels here, too, and they can get pretty friendly. Here's a picture of a little sow visiting through the window with my dog. They will put their noses up to the glass and try to smell each other...it's a hoot!

[Linked Image]

#72446 July 5th, 2006 at 04:38 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Yes, Jimmy, that IS a fox squirrel. The bright orange-red and ENORMOUS size of that squirrel is typical of the Fox Squirrel. We have quite a few of them here in Tennessee along with the usual Gray Squirrels and in the Appalachian Mountains of East Tennessee, a small, unstriped, chipmunk-sized, red squirrel, called a, "BOOMER".

#72447 July 9th, 2006 at 11:08 AM
C
C
I am so glad to see others like squirrels. I enjoy watching them but most people around here think of them as pests. I feed the birds so why not the squirrels. They must get hungry to.
Jimmy I like your squirrel. I have never seen one like it. We have the grey ones and the black.
Thanks for sharing the pic.

#72448 July 12th, 2006 at 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Squirrel
Too bad it's a he, you could name him Sue.
You must not listen to Johnny Cash...Boy Named Sue... laugh laugh laugh laugh thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard