This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72366 November 18th, 2006 at 10:54 PM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to have my vines collection in pots with a bamboo cane in the middle of each pot, sound good or bad? Don't really know the exact meausurment of the pots but I think they are a foot in diameter? So here is my collection of vine, which ones would work in small pots?

Morning Glories
Sweet Peas
Moonvine
Black Eyed Susan Vine
Hyacinth Bean
Sunset Runner Beans
Scarlet Runner Beans
Hummingbird Vine
Cypress Vine
Trumpet Vine
Clitoria White Pea Vine
Clematis

#72367 November 18th, 2006 at 11:31 PM
R
R
Hi, Kenny!

I've done MG in pots and they did fine. IMHO I wonder if they would do better with a tripod of canes with string "rungs" rather than one in the center - mine tended to want to have something to grab, and if they didn't get it they preferred to run along the ground.

The cypress will climb anything, but this too IMHO would look fuller with more canes (or just more than one climbing surface), or get a cheap but decorative trellis for it to climb - its lacier leaves don't hide ugly structures as completely as the other vines.

My only experience with clematis in pots is buying them at the nursery in smaller pots and not planting them, and they don't really appreciate it and don't grow until I finally put them in the ground where their roots can stay cool. But maybe bigger pots would mean a difference for them. I know with them too, from the nursery they are always twist-tied to the bamboo cane so I'm not sure they'll climb a bamboo cane without something to grab onto; when I plant them I usually staple metal or plastic chicken wire where I want them to grow so they'll train there.

You have a good idea - pots have several advantages sometimes (mobility is the first that comes to mind) and I'll be planting a lot of my new seeds in pots as well.

Best wishes.

Terri

#72368 November 22nd, 2006 at 02:46 AM
I do my Japenese morning glories in hanging pots.they do climb the string holding the hanger.

Neighbor has a blue silk MG growing up in her tree.it was neat seeing it like that.She also grew a black eyed susan vine in her brugmnsia pot and it twined about the trunk.

my clemtris don't like pots,not even the 3 gallon one

#72369 November 22nd, 2006 at 09:15 AM
Good thread Kenny I have an old bird cage I want to hang outside in a tree I was wondering the same thing about putting a Vine in it!

#72370 November 23rd, 2006 at 06:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the birdcage is going to look lovely with the vines growing through and up and around - i'd let some grow downward too. will look really, really nice!!

#72371 November 23rd, 2006 at 12:32 PM
Joclyn I have sooo many vine seeds from our members I Need to be come creative in how I can grow Them I am hoping they will vine down as well as take over all the bird cage !!
Thanks I'm hoping it does grow out to look nice!!

#72372 November 23rd, 2006 at 01:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
kenny, the hyacinth bean gets to be about 20 feet long...not too many offshoots either (at least that's what happened with mine this summer). so, for that one you'd need multiple poles (and in long lengths) to train the vine around (it has suckers that will attach to itself or to a pole) and the vine will get pretty thick, so you'll need to space the poles out a bit as, once it's well established, the vine would be a bit hard to maneuver.

generally, clematis will put out more than one vine...and they usually have suckers that will attach to anything that's available. since you'll get at least two vines out of it, i'd say some type of lattice might be good...or just numerous poles with maybe a few strings stretched across as terri suggested. different varieties have different growth patterns...some grow longer vines and others shorter - also, the sunlight level can affect growth (as in, if it's in the wrong light, it won't grow as vigorously as it could).

#72373 November 23rd, 2006 at 02:15 PM
R
R
I've been thinking on this one some, because it is such a good idea... my ground space is limited and frankly I have a hard time knowing what space has what kind of sun exposure so I'd like to be able to move it if I find I've guessed wrong the first time or two.

A pole or multiple poles (such as tripod or multiple vertical poles) is a good option but a 1 foot diameter pot is hard to get more than one pole into (or maybe I'm just not talented at it).

I wondered about a tube/cone/other shape of chicken wire or other sturdy metal garden fencing wire (the plastic I've tried is floppy and would need posts to hold it up, kinda defeating the purpose of using the fencing material) - it would be lightweight, and could be "pinned" to the soil instead of trying to bury something in the pot and expecting it to remain stable (my efforts at this usually fail).

I'm pretty sure the morning glory would like this (3-4 seeds equally spaced in the pot so it will grow fuller perhaps? - I'm guessing here), and cypress should like it just fine too (make it as tall as you can and plant seeds maybe 6 inches apart).

Maybe the hyacinth would like it too if you make it tall enough and keep winding it around as it makes new growth but I haven't grown hyacinth yet.. what do you think, Joclyn?

I'm glad you started this thread, Kenny, and glad for the ideas coming forth in response (I love the bird cage idea, angelblossom, and njoynit the hanging pots and tree idea are great too!). This has solved a problem for me - limited horizontal growing space but plenty of vertical!

#72374 November 25th, 2006 at 05:54 AM
kennyso Offline OP
OP Offline
I was thinking maybe surrounding your pots with a chicken wire cyclinder the same circumfrence as your pot and grow a few vines so that it loks like there is a solid pillar of leaves, any more suggestions? I can't wait until spring to test out all these ideas!

#72375 November 25th, 2006 at 03:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh! that's a good idea, kenny!!

Link Copied to Clipboard