This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72059 November 8th, 2006 at 09:06 AM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
I have been wanting the 2 for a long time...
Could anyone give me any tips or there stories with them?or pics
Thanks in advance:-)

#72060 November 8th, 2006 at 02:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've tried bonsai repeatedly - goes okay for a while and then the plant inevitably dies. it's a very precise thing...due to the manipulation of the roots, they need to be watered on schedule religiously. and for how much they cost (even the small ones) it's something to think about before investing. there are some really good sites out there - try googling and do some reading up on it.

i always thought orchids were hard to care for, so i never ventured. i took the plunge a few years ago - it'll be 5 years? maybe just 4, this christmas since i got my phalenopsis. fairly easy to care for - it hasn't bloomed since i got it though...i just recently changed it's location and i'm hoping it'll bloom at some point soon.

i recently ventured again and got a combo planter at bj's wholesale. a dendrobium with a bromeliad. i mist them twice a day and water weekly and so far so good.

orchids have come a long way over the years...these hybrids are a bit hardier than what was available a dozen years ago.

it's a pretty safe bet to purchase orchids these days - stores like walmart and target (where i got my phal) carry the types that are easily cared for.

i also got an orchid as a trade. tiny little thing - really pretty tho! one of the more tender varieties and i didn't mist it often enough and i lost it.

again, there are a lot of sites specifically for orchids...google and read up.

between the two, i'd recommend getting an orchid. unless you have the time to devote to bonsai (and someone who will follow instructions to a 't' if you go on vacation).

#72061 November 8th, 2006 at 07:39 PM
Ohhh that is a tough one Angie.. I can do the trees just fine.. But as far as the flowers go I would not do well at all!!

#72062 November 9th, 2006 at 09:47 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
you want the "alpine orchids" they are the ones that are easier to care for. The sea level ones are suppose to be the harder ones to care for. I have two that I got from Nor that are still doing fine. And she is mailing me another one. i'm looking forward to getting it.

Bonsai are usually grown from trees that require 4 seasons so they really need to be kept outside. And they are very difficult to deal with. I find that I am much happier dealing with miniature plants for my indoor spaces. Or using vines and wire mess designs to create interesting plant shapes rather than the bonsai.

#72063 November 9th, 2006 at 09:53 PM
Tammy not all bonsai are hard to care for I have a indoor tree..It does great... you just have to water it everyday ... there are many that are just outdoor ones the pines maples ect.. but you can also have wisteria azelia and many more.. I have seen small fruit trees too.. I just created a bonsai out of my ficus.. I thought it turned out nice!!

#72064 November 9th, 2006 at 09:55 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Cool Rita,

That is great to know. I love the look of them and have been tempted many times. But after spending 50.00 on one and having it die within a week I don't think I would do another one. I do occassionally consider a garden in a bottle.

#72065 November 9th, 2006 at 10:01 PM
There is a lot of great sites to get them Tammy did you see the bonsai seed www.seedrack.com Bill has this site advertised..

I think mine is 9 years old now it is a Lugustrium Pretty much impossible to kill!! I thought I was near but it came back.. this type you do not have to wire really either

#72066 November 9th, 2006 at 10:23 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I've bought from seedrack but I later found that it was easy to find seeds much cheaper elsewhere if I was willing to google.

I'll have to look up Lagustrium. I bet it is pretty. I'm really glad you have been successful with bonsai. It's nice to have someone to go to when I want to learn new things. Probably once I get the orchids blooming I'll be looking for a new challenge and bonsai would certainly qualify.

#72067 November 9th, 2006 at 11:55 PM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for the plethora of information!
very helpful! I am going to go with the orchid.
Thanks again:-)

#72068 November 10th, 2006 at 01:37 AM
Sure Tammy I also have books that I can look up certain things if you need some help

Wonder what happened to peokemon... She was very very helpful...

Angie good luck with the Orchid.. I hope it grows great for you!!

#72069 November 10th, 2006 at 07:09 AM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Rita:-) Your always a great help to me!

#72070 November 10th, 2006 at 08:46 AM
Anytime angie!! You can even take sappling trees from outside and turn them into bonsai..

#72071 November 10th, 2006 at 09:03 AM
chenno Offline OP
OP Offline
May need to work on that one!;-)

#72072 November 11th, 2006 at 11:02 PM
T
T
Orchids are fun and the flowers last a LONG time. Try a small Oncidium or Dendrobium. With each let the potting mix dry out between waterings. Feed every other watering with half strength miracle grow or any 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 fertilzer. Patients is important with orchids but the reward is HUGE!

Here's one of my Paphs:

[Linked Image]

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard