This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71113 September 23rd, 2006 at 03:05 AM
OP Offline
I recently decided to try an experiment after reading about avocado's. I put a pit in a cup of water and keep it on the kitchen table where it gets plenty of light. It now has a root but after going back and reading about growing avocado's I'm wondering if I put the pit in the cup upside down. I'm also wondering if it's normal for it to have split down the middle and if I should peel off the outer "shell" that seems to be chipping off of it. wink

#71114 September 23rd, 2006 at 10:27 AM
S
S
All of the ones I have grown have split to allow both the roots and the stem to emerge, as for putting it in upside down,normally the more flattened side is put down and the rounded tip up. smile
I have however grown them the other way roung in water and they seem to have a better idea of how to grow than one would expect.

#71115 September 25th, 2006 at 02:19 AM
F
F
what do you do once the plant is 2 ft tall, and growing in a pot. and it stays out of direct sun.

#71116 September 25th, 2006 at 07:04 AM
S
S
Mine is planted in a large pot and sits in full sun. Its now over 6 foot tall and is quite happy with the arrangements. If I were you I would move it into a sunny spot gradually over several days to acclimate it to the stronger sun. Be sure it doesent get dehydrated but be sure also to not over water or you could drown it.

Also if you have the option(depending on where you live) if possile plant it in the ground or the largest container you can afford that you can move inside or to a sheltered location if you live where it gets cold. Living in central Florida I dont need to do much protecting of it beyond making sure it doesent dry out completly.

#71117 September 27th, 2006 at 03:19 AM
Don't peel off the brown skin-it will come off bit by bit on its own.
The crack means that a little stem is coming, as well as the root you already have.
And yes, always put the point UP when rooting a pit.
Keep the water fresh.
I don't know when you should begin on plant food, does anyone else?

#71118 September 27th, 2006 at 03:53 AM
F
F
THANKS SNOWWOLF FOR THE INFO.. I LIVE IN VALDOSTA AND YES IT CAN GET COLD HERE. IVE NOTICED IF THE plant SITS IN THE SUN WITH PLENTY OF WATER THE LEAVES DROOP, ONCE I MOVE THEM INTO THE SHADE THEY STAND BACK UP? AS FAR AS plant FOOD I USE ONLY WATER.
THANKS

#71119 September 27th, 2006 at 04:54 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
My got plant food right along with the rest of the house plants every other friday. I grew mine in soil rather than in water.

#71120 October 2nd, 2006 at 09:23 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure now that I'm doing it correctly. No stem yet but I've only just started it about a month or so ago.

#71121 October 3rd, 2006 at 04:06 AM
Originally posted by flowers46:
THANKS SNOWWOLF FOR THE INFO.. I LIVE IN VALDOSTA AND YES IT CAN GET COLD HERE. IVE NOTICED IF THE plant SITS IN THE SUN WITH PLENTY OF WATER THE LEAVES DROOP, ONCE I MOVE THEM INTO THE SHADE THEY STAND BACK UP? AS FAR AS plant FOOD I USE ONLY WATER.
THANKS
Maybe you've acustomed it to shade and I think you'll need to slowly harend it off to get it used to more sunlight

Link Copied to Clipboard