This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7094 June 29th, 2005 at 08:19 AM
OP Offline
We'll be pickin' tomatoes before we know it. oh yum...I can taste them now clp I was wondering if anyone can be so kind as to sharing their favourite tomato recipes with me. Tomatoes have got to be my all time favourite food. I could eat them everyday!!! No joke. Thanx!!!!!
Christina

#7095 June 29th, 2005 at 11:01 AM
R
R
I like to mmake a mix to put on top & then roast them on the grill.

the mix can vary & you can use other means to cook.

feta
grated romano cheese
basil
oregano
cilantro
crisped & chopped veggy bacon
basmic vinegar
extra virgin olive oil

you must scoop out the tomato halves a bit. Then stuff & top them & roast.

#7096 June 30th, 2005 at 05:43 AM
How abought a good old tomatoe sanwich.allways hits the spot for me.i love em.your friend in gardening.mike57

#7097 June 30th, 2005 at 06:48 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
I am a huge tomato sandwich fan!! But in the interest of variety here are 3 recipes I have tried and are yummy! By the way, it is a good idea to invest in some quality extra virgin olive oil to go in the recipes. Still only add oil to tomatoes at the very last minute or the dish can get soggy and yucky.

# 1
Greek Salad

3 medium tomatoes chopped
1 long English cucumber chopped
1 sweet Bell pepper sliced
1 medium onion sliced
1 cup black olives
1/2 cup feta cheese

Dressing

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped finely (or 1 teaspoon dry basil)
1/2 tablespoon fresh oregano finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano)
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash fresh ground pepper

combine prepared tomatoes, cucumber, onion, sweet pepper, olives and feta cheese in a salad bowl. Mix dressing ingredients.
Add dressing to salad
Toss and serve.

I usually put this salad on a bed of fresh spinach if I am serving a crowd. There is never any of it left!

# 2
Tomato/Mozarella Salad
1/2 pound mozarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup fresh basil leaves
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

In a cirular design around the side of a serving plate, alternate mozarella slices with tomato slices, overlapping for effect. Tear fresh basil leaves and sprinkle liberally over slices. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Just before serving, drizzle on the extra virgin olive oil.

# 3
Tomatoes and Pasta

In a large serving dish, combine:
2 cups chopped ripe tomato
1 clove garlic, very finely minced
3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated or crumbled cheese (feta, goat or parmesan)

Boil 8 ounces of pasta to al dente, drain. While pasta is still very hot, add it to the serving dish and toss with the other ingredients. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

That's all folks

#7098 June 30th, 2005 at 06:59 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
before I forget, I found these interesting little factoids

2.5 pounds of tomatoes = 3 cups chopped and drained fresh tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes = 2 cups chopped undrained or 1 cup drained chopped fresh tomato
25-30 cherry tomatoes = 2 cups chopped tomatoes

#7099 July 10th, 2005 at 11:33 PM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Hi, to the Tomato and Pasta sauce (raw sauce), I add some Basil and Oregano, about 1/2 teas. for the recipe listed. I marinate it for a few hours to blend the flavors. I'm making that today, as a matter of fact. It really is DELICIOUS!!!!!
clp

#7100 July 11th, 2005 at 02:27 AM
I make Juice, sauce, and Salsa out of mine.

Juice is easy, heat the tomatoes in boiling water until soft. Then run through a colander that is in a big pot. I use a whip for this. And add a little salt.

Sauce you basically peel, core, seed, and chop your tomatoes, put them in a pot with some olive oil and basil. Cook until the water is gone and the sauce is as thick as you want.

Salsa I cheat, I use a mix.

#7101 July 14th, 2005 at 07:06 AM
W
W
Has anyone ever dried tomatoes and ground them into a powder? I wanted to try this but haven't been able to find anyone who has ever dried tomatoes to make an educated decision. Any tried and true kethcup recipes?

Green Tomato Jam
5 c. green tomatoes, ground
3 1/2 c. sugar
3 T. lemon juice
6 oz. pkg. raspberry jello

Boil tomatoes, sugar, and juice for 20 minutes. Add jello, put in jars, and process for 15 minutes.

This is what my mom calls poor man's raspberry jam. Grandma always made it with her green tomatoes.

#7102 July 18th, 2005 at 01:47 AM
My favorite horduerves...

Fresh tomato brushcetta...

a few chopped fresh tomatos
a handful of fresh torn basil leaves
1-2 cloves minced garlic
a drizzle of olive oil
a slash of balsamic vinigar
salt and pepper

mix this all in a bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes

Slice a loaf of french bread into thick slices, brush them with olive oil and toast in the oven or place on a hot grill to crisp up.

Serve the tomato mixture spooned on the bread.

Paula Deen does this AMAZING tomato pie which is great served warm or cold...its fabulous...yep yep..we make it several times last year!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_22716,00.html

#7103 August 7th, 2005 at 11:04 AM
*Cover the bottom of a dish with crushed Ritz crackers.

*Put layer of diced tomatoes (drained) over Ritz crackers.

*Cover with shredded cheese.

Continue with layering until you reach top of dish you are using.

I use a dish that is deep enough for 3 layers of each.

END WITH CHEESE Layer

Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.

#7104 August 20th, 2005 at 02:43 AM
S
S
Ciao campers,

Here's a recipe for Panzanella, one of my favourite tomato salads. It makes 8 servings so scale back if necessary.

6 cups diced tomatoes
4 cups 1" stale bread cubes, preferably from crusty Italian bread such as ciabatta
1 large thinly sliced purple onion
2 pressed garlic cloves
2 handfuls very fresh torn basil leaves
very dark green extra virgin fruity olive oil
good quality balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Toss together everything but the bread cubes and allow to marinate for at least an hour at room temp, longer refrigerated. Toss bread cubes in right before serving.

PS FYI: it's bruschetta, not brushcetta and it's pronounced brus-KET-ah, just a pet peeve of mine. Here's another version of bruschetta:

Toasted crusty Italian bread slices
1 garlic clove with a sliver sliced off
Shredded provolone cheese
Large fresh basil leaves
Large very ripe beefsteak tomato (1-2 lbs), sliced 1/2" thick
Very dark green extra virgin fruity olive oil
Good quality balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Rub bread slices with cut side of garlic. Sprinkle cheese over bread. Lay 1-2 basil leaves on top to cover bread. Lay one tomato slice on top. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use your hands or knife and fork, plus plenty of napkins. Enjoy!

Buon appetito,
Julianna

#7105 August 25th, 2005 at 07:40 AM
PS FYI: it's bruschetta, not brushcetta and it's pronounced brus-KET-ah, just a pet peeve of mine.
Oh me too!
One of my favorite tomato recipes:
Chicken Louisa (adapted from Gourmet magazine)
4 (pounded 1/3 in. thick) chicken breasts
1T. olive oil
1T. butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2c. dry white wine
3/4c. cream (or soy creamer added later)
5 tomatoes (preferably mixed colors), seeded, chopped and drained on paper towel
2T. finely chopped basil
1t. chicken bouillon
salt and pepper

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in skillet, sauté chicken until just cooked through and place on warm platter or in oven. Add shallot to pan, cook one minute. Deglaze pan with wine, reduce by half. Add remaining ingredients, simmer 4 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to pan, season to taste. Serve with angel hair pasta, baguettes and salad, if desired. If doubling recipe, 2 pans may be needed.

muggs

#7106 August 28th, 2005 at 03:17 PM
D
D
Tomatoe Soup (in a crockpot) good for cooler weather
l large can commercial tomatoe juice
l chopped onion (opt)
seasoning of your choice
put above in crockpot, and heat to bubbling. Then turn down the temp. to low, and crack the lid so about half of the liquid evaporates. When it is getting thick, add chopped tomatoes, and let it cook more. For me, this is a whole day, while I work in the yard. It is easy and very tasty.
Darlene

#7107 May 16th, 2006 at 07:54 AM
My mom always made me Cheesy Tomato Toast for a snack, and I still like it for a light lunch.I am the only one who eats tomatoes in my house. I use a toaster oven for 2 slices, but you can use a regular oven for more slices.I take 2 slices of bread, put on a slice of Velveeta cheese, top with 2 large tomato slices, and sprinkle Italian seasoning or oregano on top, salt if desired and broil until brown & the cheese starts to brown on the sides. YUMMY and simple!!!

#7108 May 16th, 2006 at 10:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
#1 stuffed tomatoes:

tomatoes - as close to same size as you can do
chopped broccoli florets
crumbled gorganzola cheese
chopped fresh (not toasted) pumpernickle bread
salt, pepper and dry basil to taste
good olive oil

core and then hollow out the tomatoes - get rid of all the seeds and some of the meat if you need to.

combine all the other ingredients, basically it should be equal amounts of all the ingredients. salt, pepper and dried basil is to taste. mix in a little bit of the olive oil so that the mixture is lightly held together (don't need to drown in in oil).

fill the tomatoes and then drizzle a bit of oil on the top. bake uncovered at 300 degrees until the skin is just starting to come away from the meat. about 20 minutes for medium size tomatoes with a fair amount of meat.

i take the crust off the bread and cube it before using the hand mixer to chop it - one of those gadgets for making milkshakes, has only one blade. can't think of the name of it at the moment shocked

#2 fried tomatoes

large meaty tomatoes
eggs, scrambled with a dash of milk
italian style bread crumbs
oil, preferably olive
worcestershire sauce

slice ripe tomatoes in approximately 1/2 inch slices. dip in and cover with the bread crumbs and then place in egg/milk mix - turn once to cover both sides with the egg/milk. pick up with fork and let excess drain off and then put in bread crumbs again - make sure both sides are coated well with the crumbs.

put the prepared slices on a dish - one layer only - and let them sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours so that the egg/crumb coating sets(i usually leave mine in the fridge over night).

cook over medium to medium low heat in a heavy skillet (i prefer cast iron) in the olive oil. you want to cook one side completely and then turn and cook the other side. if you don't cook each side completely before turning, the coating won't stay on and you want that coating to stay there!

serve with worcestershire sauce dabbled over the slices.

recipe #1 works well with tomatoes that have lots of seeds.

recipe #2 works better with tomatoes that have lots of meat.

Link Copied to Clipboard