This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#70993 September 14th, 2006 at 12:05 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Everyone keeps telling me they've never heard of a bearing almond tree in our part of the country, but I have one that was weighed down heavily with nuts this year. It's in a dry raised bed, so maybe that's a factor. We had a lot of rain, so maybe the combination of rain and good drainage caused so many nuts to form.

My question is regarding a primary branch at the top that lost all its leaves early in the summer, and which may be dead or dying. There was a partial insect infestation early in the nut-bearing period, but all the later nuts seem to be fine. Does this leafless branch bode ill for the tree?

#70994 September 17th, 2006 at 02:54 PM
Hi Back Mountain Nepa...

Wow...wish i have n almond heavy with fruit...u must b proud ...! But outta curiosity...why did u say...

'Everyone keeps telling me they've never heard of a bearing almond tree in our part of the country..'

...in other words..what r Almond tree requirements...?? Wonder if Almonds would even grow in Malaysia???

Thanx...n have a nice day...... wavey

#70995 September 18th, 2006 at 11:38 PM
P
P
Does this leafless branch bode ill for the tree?
It is best to remove infested branches throw them in the trash not the compost pile. Sanitize any garden tool that was used.

The almond tree itself will grow in your area, but the nuts are at risk because the nuts ripen only after a long summer of dry heat.

Almonds are not satisfactory self pollenizer, so you'd need two planted or have a neighbor plant one.

Almond will respond to fruit bearing peaches and plums grafted on it's branches, so that if the almond nuts fails, you'll have peaches and plums to harvest.

Almonds performs best in regions with long, dry summers, and well drained loam or sandy loam soil. They bear at four years and last up to 50 years.

Link Copied to Clipboard