This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#70832 December 22nd, 2006 at 10:39 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Tonya,
I hear you more than you know on the time thing..
*that's why I was tryin' to get you to find the info.... wink~wink*

But bring this post back up and/or to my attention *I love to doing stuff in Winter,
gives me an opportunity to catch up* so,
I'll hunt the stuff done, and we'll get you hooked up with soooooo much info, you might not know where to start... thumbup
But we'll get'er done for you...
Can't wait and am excited for you!!!

#70833 December 22nd, 2006 at 10:21 PM
Tonya Offline OP
OP Offline
I am calling around trying to find someone to "disc" the entire garden for me once we close and then I have a friend who is gonna give me "free" horse poop- I have to haul it, but don't have to pay for the poop itself thumbup I am going to try to ge a diagram drawn up of where I want everything so that I am more prepared when we get moved in.....busy, busy!! laugh laugh

#70834 December 23rd, 2006 at 06:18 AM
Crikey Tonya. That's a massive area. Given that you can feed a family of four all year on an area 25' x 25' or less, i'd reckon go easy to start, as Mr Clint suggests. Otherwise, you're going to have a huge area of weeds or you'll have to work very hard to keep it all going. Do you have the rainfall or the water available to keep it all well watered? A small, well tended area will produce much better and with far less effort than a large, difficult to maintain area.
However, how big you go is up to you.

For prep, first get your soil tested. Find out the Ph, and the nutrient ratios. Then you'll know what you will need to add. Different crops may like a little more of this or that, so side dressings thru the growing season will assist. I'd also talk to a few neighbours and ask what the previous owners were doing with that area. It's obviously been used for something agricultural.

I'd till the weeds in the area along with whatever the additives are that your soil test reveals. Good preparation is the absolute necessity for growing vegies.

Make a plan of the beds you intend to use. Or the rows or whatever and set the garden out on paper. An area for Brassicas, one for potatoes and other solanums like tomatoes and eggplant etc. Cucurbits like pumpkin and cucumber would have another area. Beans and other legumes can be used to enrich soil for nitrogen loving crops like corn. Or you can plant them with the corn and allow them to grow up the stalks. Then you will have a beginning for crop rotation which will help prevent diseases and pests from getting ahead of you. teech It would be good to read up on basic crop rotation principles when setting out the areas on paper. Remember also that it's best to plant a small amount of something often rather than a huge amount in one hit. That way you get continuity od supply and if a pest or disease gets going, the losses are not so great.
Once you have a section producing well and gain experience and confidence, then you could decide if you want to expand. Have you thought of fruit trees?
Regarding the horsemanure. I'd pile it up on the area you will be developing next, or which you are leaving 'fallow'. Huge amounts are best. (You could easily use 10 cubic yards on a 10th of that area.) Allow it to compost and when you're ready, bust it into the soil and plant feral plants like pumpkin or other rambling vines in it. Horse manure can carry a lot of weed seed and is best composted. It's not that high in nutrient but is a great soil conditioner. Cucurbits love it.
In short, i'd research, plan, read and be patient. It doesn't have to happen yesterday and preparation is the key. Gotta walk before we run. Good luck :-)

#70835 December 30th, 2006 at 03:17 AM
Tonya Offline OP
OP Offline
Longy- thank you so much for the info! kissies We are hoping to plant about half of the quarter acre "garden" plot this coming spring. I just got off the phone with my local county extension office about the soil testing( Free is always good! ) I will admit I had to google a few of the "scientific"( I think) names you gave, but I am on my way to planning a great garden! I am going out to measure and plot out where things will go this Saturday I hope. We do get plenty of rain and if not enough falls- the hose is close enough to water if needed. As a stay-at-home mom, I have the time to commit to it and the money it will save us in produce will be significant provided everything grows well. grinnnn I'm sure I will have more questions soon!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard