This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#70789 October 17th, 2006 at 12:59 AM
OP Offline
Hello.

My area of interest is wild flora native to the midwest US and Lake District UK, though I have grown amarylis from seed and have a special love for hoya plants.

The Norfolk Island Pine that I have is the only remaining house plant that belonged to my mom. I've kept it alive and green for 11 years. Though a nagging voice told me to bring it in from the enclosed patio, I didn't. The next day I discovered that my felines had knocked it on the ground, and the lagomorphs completely defoliated it. Is there anything I can do to jump-start it? I am devastated.

My thanks in advance,
midwestflora

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/midwestflora/

#70790 October 17th, 2006 at 01:28 AM
Hi there!

Welcome to the Forum.

Its nice to meet you....while i dont have an answer to your question, i am sure that someone will be along who can help. Sorry to hear about this....

#70791 October 17th, 2006 at 02:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your cherished hoya! eek I also love hoyas and would feel the same way you do if that happened! I also have a couple felines!

If the roots, or root-ball is not damaged, try putting it back in the same pot, or a smaller one if need be, giving just enough room for the roots, (about an inch growing room between the roots and inside of the pot) Water it in a little giving it the same light.
As long as the roots are ok, you should get some new growth, but it might take a while. Just don't feed it, or over-water it now because there are no leaves and the roots can easily rot.
Hopefully in time, it will grow again.You might also want to take a few cuttings and root some in water and some in soil in a small pot.

Good Luck!

#70792 October 18th, 2006 at 12:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've re-read this topic a couple of times, and believe you are asking about the norfolk island pine. if you still have it, and would like to try to save it, the first thing to do is to repot it, pretending it is lush and green. you can use the pot it was in when the cats attacked it (i'm very sorry about that, having 3 of those creatures myself, i do understand).

then, for the next 2 weeks, water it as you would if it were full and green. keep an eye on it for new growth, i believe it can survive.

#70793 October 18th, 2006 at 01:50 AM
OP Offline
Okay, thanks. Yes, it's the Norfolk Island Pine that I hope to hold onto.

The plant never left the pot. Should I take it out of the pot and disturb the roots a bit to let the plant know I still care? Should I put it in different potting soil?

The very first thing I did when I discovered the incident was bring the plant inside (as I should have the day before) and put it on its winter roost. Next I trimmed back the trunks so that all the rabbit girdling was removed. (Not a lot, just enough that the trunk that remained was intact and green on the inside.) Then I put a clear cellophane wrap around it (WITH AN OPEN TOP) to help hold in warmth and moisture. All this did was encourage mycelium growth, so I removed it.

Patience I have, I just want to make sure there isn't something else I should / should not be doing.

Cheers,
midwestflora

#70794 October 18th, 2006 at 06:52 AM
Oops! I'm so sorry Duh I must have lost my mind for a moment! nutz Geez, how did THAT that happen???

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get some great advice from Jiffymouse for your, "Norfolk Island Pine"

#70795 October 18th, 2006 at 09:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
downtoearth, we all do that some days. that is why i had to read the post so many times laugh laugh

i don't think there is anything else you can do. if you want to check the roots to ensure they are healthy, that shouldn't hurt it, but i wouldn't repot it or anything. just make sure it doesnt get water logged while you are working on salvaging it. over loving plants is one of our greatest mistakes.

#70796 October 19th, 2006 at 10:10 AM
Oh, nothing worse than temporally losing ones brain cells, but, I'm sure glad to hear that I'm not the only one. WHEW! shocked
Better start reading each post a couple of times before posting myself smile

Link Copied to Clipboard