This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#70629 March 27th, 2006 at 10:18 PM
KKMedic Offline OP
OP Offline
OK... we just had our land for the new house leveled... now we are trying to decide what type of grass to seed it with (cant afford to sod it) We have lots of kids and dogs, so the grass needs to be ery durable. We are in zones 7b-8a border (summers are really hot... winters very mild) We have been told Bermuda would make the prettiest and most durable, but I have heard and read horror stories of it taking over and ivading flowerbeds. We were told centipede was a good grass. I have read so much about so many types that it is overwhelming. Also, if we dont get it seeded in a few weeks, I am sure the weeds and icky stuff that was covering the land will take over again. Any input, ideas, experience, or suggestions? Thanks...
Katherine Duh

#70630 March 29th, 2006 at 11:01 AM
My suggestion is to ensure the soil is ready first. Drainage must be excellent, get the Ph right. etc. So much money can be wasted on a lawn if the soil is not properly prepared.
May i suggest a call to the local golf club and talk to the greenkeeper re lawn type and soil prep.

#70631 March 29th, 2006 at 11:44 AM
wavey HI KK I would use a mix of different grass seeds so you will have a green lawn year round there many to chose from.creeping fescue,winter rye,are just a couple.but here is a link that will help you de side on what is best for you.
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/wholesale/grassseed.htm#Universal%20Lawn.
a good mix of seeds will produce a very pretty lawn year long you can buy these at any local farmers cooparative.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#70632 April 3rd, 2006 at 01:02 AM
K
K
Why don't you consult your local nursery or county agent. While we are noted for Bluegrass in my area of zone 6, Fescue 31 makes a much nicer yard here.

Link Copied to Clipboard