This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69544 September 18th, 2006 at 05:22 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all I was wondering how you dry peppers? Have some i would like to dry and put in a shaker bottle for spicing up some of my favorite dishes..thanks

#69545 September 18th, 2006 at 07:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i've dried them by using a needle and thread to string them up.

put the threaded needle through the stem part - line up all the peppers on one long piece of thread and then hang in a dark protected area that has some good air circulation. you'll want them in a spot where they won't get knocked in to, too.

i've hung them in the landing area that goes to my basement...it's dark enough behind the door and, since i never close the door, there's plenty of good air movement.

they should be dried within a few months and then you can put them in the freezer in a plastic zip bag or a jar. i usually leave them whole when i put them in the freezer. you can crumble them up before freezing, if you want tho, too.

if you can find the clear plastic thread, use that, otherwise, make sure to run the regular thread through the needle twice - just for extra support while they are hanging.

#69546 September 18th, 2006 at 08:10 AM
I use a needle and fishing line -- much like Joclyn has described. It's pretty dry here in So Cal, so I just hang them in the kitchen.

Stick with peppers that aren't too meaty or they will not dry properly. I've had good luck drying anaheims.

#69547 September 18th, 2006 at 08:26 AM
I have always used a dehydrator to dry peppers, I chop or slice them. peppers are about 90% water, so they do take quite awhile to dry. If you are going to air dry them..be sure that they have good air flow around them, as they can mold easily.

#69548 September 18th, 2006 at 08:57 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
My brother in law has a farm and he and I are pepper addicfts he grows TONS of Cayenne each year and gives me a bushel or so of them. I string them using heavy carpet/button thread and a needle. I run the needle through the stem and just slide the pepper down and then I hang them in my walk-in closet to dry unitl they are bright red. Then whenever I need one I just pull it off and crumble it up on top of my ice cream sundae.

#69549 September 18th, 2006 at 09:21 AM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwww !!

#69550 September 18th, 2006 at 05:44 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
lol I agree.

for me I sliced mine up and used net bags that the onions came in from the store. It works great for me. But then I am just doing a few at a time.

#69551 September 18th, 2006 at 10:27 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks all...On ice cream?woah!Now My brother in law in Orlando was wondering if he can string them and hang them outside to air dry....Still shaking my head about ice cream lol

#69552 September 19th, 2006 at 05:53 AM
D
D
It depends on the type of pepper. Thin wall peppers like Cayennes will dry well- thick walled one dont usally dry well by hanging. The best way to dry them is a dehydrator! Cayennes dry fast in a dehydrator- usally 12 hours, and there ready! Thicker walled peppers can be dried in a dehydrator. Cut them in half lenghwise, and dry. You can make some very intresting chili powders. Use a coffee grinder to make powder, or even flakes. Pulse it a few shots to make them into flakes, or hold it down for awhile to make chili powders. Just becarefull not to inhale the dust! Been drying loads of cayennes lately- up to 3 1 gallon bags full of dried ones- and just started to pick them recently!

#69553 September 19th, 2006 at 06:27 AM
I also hang peppers to dry. I have not done mine for the year yet but last year I had a ristra in my house for quite a while. Once they are dry, into the blender they do and then it is ready. Do this OUTSIDE or in a well vented are and do not smell the dust.

A ristra can look like this:
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard