This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69525 September 8th, 2006 at 12:01 PM
C
OP Offline
C
My girlfriend's birthday is approaching soon (Thanksgiving) and i've been pondering over what to get her. At first I thought of buying her some cut flowers (she loves lilies) but it's disappointing what a short time they last. I thought about planting a few in a pot in hopes that they would bloom around b'day time.

The problem is...I am utterly clueless about plants. Sure, i've dinked around in the back yard with the weeds, I know how to water my mothers roses...but not much beyond that. First thing's first, if you plant lilies this time of year, will they even grow within the next century? If not, any tricks to force them to come up early? Secondly, even if they will come up this time of year, is appx 3 months too short a time?

She has told me Tiger lilies are her favorite. Where would be my best bet for finding some not outrageously priced, but decent quality bulbs if I go this route? Will wal-mart/lowes bulbs be the same quality as a gardening store or an online store?

Anything else I need to know? Is this a hopeless task?

#69526 September 8th, 2006 at 08:57 PM
My Tiger lillies are done blooming and are about ready to be cut back. I have lots of seeds. Though they take 2yrs. to bloom. I could try to send you a plant already started. To be planted outside for next yr. If that would help.
Diane

#69527 September 9th, 2006 at 01:22 AM
CluelessLily, I think you might want to try getting an amarylis lily. Here is a link to what the Garden Helper has to say about them. It says that they are easy to force for the holiday season. So, that might work well for you. You're local garden center/nursery will probably be carrying bulbs very soon, if they don't already. Plus, a local place can give you some pointers on forcing the bulb.

#69528 September 9th, 2006 at 01:32 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

#69529 September 13th, 2006 at 06:36 AM
cluelesslily,

I have a White Spider lily blooming right now.. It is a fall bloomer........However where to find one is another question.....

It is a huge bulb......Not hardy in cold zones.

good luck
dodge grinnnn

#69530 September 13th, 2006 at 06:33 PM
CluelessLily, I was going to say the same thing as Sarah. Amaryllis is a good holiday flower, #1 they are gorgeous, #2 they are very easy to force into blooming, usually blooming 6-8 weeks after planting. Another cool thing about them is that you can let them bloom and die back then let them "rest" a while and then force it to bloom again.

Link Copied to Clipboard