This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6944 September 3rd, 2006 at 06:36 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I just bought a crock pot and love it! cool I love the ease and convience of it. I just put in some beef, broth, and veggies. It smells amazing! I'd love some more receipes to try in it. Please share them with me gab
Thanks

#6945 September 3rd, 2006 at 09:15 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Here's one we have in our Recipe Archives/Crock Pot Recipes?
There was some really good ones' in there... thumbup

#6946 September 3rd, 2006 at 09:22 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!

#6947 September 3rd, 2006 at 03:05 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Perfect! Thanks smile

#6948 September 3rd, 2006 at 03:38 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
We had alot of folks come around in the fall time and add more.. Crock pots/Slow Cookers' are
very popular at that time of year it seems...

I hope you try some of them...
They sounded mightie~tastie...

Is the one you posted, the only one you've done
so far??

#6949 September 3rd, 2006 at 11:53 PM
This is great Weezie! kissies I sure can use some recipes for my Crock-Pot, especially at this time of the year! wink

#6950 September 4th, 2006 at 01:31 AM
G
OP Offline
G
That's the only one so far. I just made a shopping list - I was dreaming about the Kielbasa and potatoes! Yummy wink I used to have one years ago, when I was in the UK and loved it. I was single back then, so I'd make a pot, eat some and freeze the rest. It's nice that the prep time is so quick- with two little boys; I prefer to spend time with them. I'm also trying to cut back on the amount of meals we eat out.

#6951 September 4th, 2006 at 02:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My mother always cooked her cornbeef into them.
and a chicken, but darned if she remembers' all she did to it...

I use a "waterless cooker", it's an old pot with a top that has a little button like thing on the top and it goes up and down to let the steam out when it's cookin'....

I also use a "anodized pot" for a roast..
it's made out of a metal that distributes heat
evenly thru out the pot... and cooks a roast in like an hour and a half instead of 3 with the pan above..

I use a chuck roast and carrots, potatoes, onion and beef bouillion cubes.. *my mother likes celery in hers' too*

#6952 September 4th, 2006 at 05:51 AM
Weezie, I love luv cornbeef but I usually just simmer mine in a large pot for several hours depending on the size. About an hour before it's done I add the carrots, about 15 minutes later the potatoes, and then add the cabbage about 15 minutes before it's done! It's wonderful served with rye bread and butter and horseradish on the side. wink Then, IF there's enough left over (the trick is to make sure you buy a big enough piece of corned beef laugh ) I make Reuben sandwiches the next day. luv wink

#6953 September 4th, 2006 at 07:15 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by patches1414:
Then, IF there's enough left over (the trick is to make sure you buy a big enough piece of corned beef laugh ) I make Reuben sandwiches the next day. luv wink
The key there is to buy two smaller one's...
(I used to find the biggest cut of beef
when I did the roasts if someone was comin' over.
*and it usually was tougher cause it was bigger :rolleyes: * but then I started getting two smaller one's and it worked out great..
Had a bit more than normal..
I knew it there'd be enough *with the second one* and leftovers with the second one too...

#6954 September 4th, 2006 at 07:51 AM
Actually, Weezie, I do buy some of the smaller ones just for making Rueben sandwiches. wink I get them around St. Patrick's Day when they are on sale, then I freeze them!

Which cut do you buy? Duh I really like the 'Brisket' the best! thumbup I bought the 'Round' (most expensive) once and it was horrible, eek with hardly any fat I found it tasteless and dry. frown I don't like the 'end' cut either, but sometimes buy a small piece to use for corn beef hash! I will cook the small ones in my Crock-Pot since I won't be opening the lid to add vegetables. wink

#6955 September 4th, 2006 at 07:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gonna have to drag my crock pot out, the weather is chilly and rainy--perfect for the crock pot!

I use a "waterless cooker", it's an old pot with a top that has a little button like thing on the top and it goes up and down to let the steam out when it's cookin'....
Weezie, do you mean a pressure cooker? Duh Sounds like it, pressure cookers are fantastic! thumbup

#6956 September 4th, 2006 at 07:58 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I don't think so..
I know what you are thinkin' for the pressure cooker top..

The one I have flaps as the steam builds up...
it just flaps, flap, flap..lets' out the steam
then rebuilds up and flaps again...
but not the twist one that lets out steam...

#6957 September 5th, 2006 at 04:08 AM
I love using the crock pot to cook a meal in!!! I cook my dry beans in the crock pot and they always turn out so much better then when cooked on the stove top.

#6958 September 5th, 2006 at 05:04 AM
Same here Comfrey, and my mother swears you cannot cook dry beans in them. I like to take my roast pork or beef and cook them in my crock. I place them in a cooking back with my seasonings, and then I make foil balls and put in the bottom of the crock then add a lil water. Put the roast bag and all in there. A few hours later tender roast, best of all no clean up. Toss your foil balls and dry out the crock. So simple. I usually take the drippings from the bag and make gravy with them. It always has a different flavor depending on what spice or rub I use.

Guess what is gonna be for dinner tomorrow night! lol

#6959 September 5th, 2006 at 07:15 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by comfrey:
I love using the crock pot to cook a meal in!!! I cook my dry beans in the crock pot and they always turn out so much better then when cooked on the stove top.
I used to get dried beans when we first got married and had my oldest child, and I couldn't get those beans soft to save my life..
I cooked 'em an hour and then let them sit,
I cooked 'em the night before and then cooked them in the chili, still didn't work, I GAVE UP!

I wish I would have known that trick.. eek

#6960 September 5th, 2006 at 09:14 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I made the kielbasa and potatoes for dinner. It was a hit kissies Think I'll try the brocolli chicken next...

#6961 September 5th, 2006 at 02:27 PM
I like to take my roast pork or beef and cook them in my crock. I place them in a cooking back with my seasonings, and then I make foil balls and put in the bottom of the crock then add a lil water. Put the roast bag and all in there. A few hours later tender roast, best of all no clean up. Toss your foil balls and dry out the crock.
Geesh, Karrie, am I the only one that doesn't understand what you're talking about here? Duh What is a cooking back? Duh What are foil balls? Duh What is a roast bag? Duh This sounds great but could you please explain it a little more. I'm really new to this Crock-Pot cooking and I'm a little confused with this terminology. confused Sorry! frown

#6962 September 6th, 2006 at 06:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I was wonderin' a bit about the bags' in
the crockpot part too!
*I do the bags in the oven on occasions*

#6963 September 6th, 2006 at 07:05 AM
Sounds really good Karrie...but can you explain it a bit better...lost me at the balls too?

#6964 September 6th, 2006 at 08:24 AM
Dried beans in a crockpot?? OK, I'm getting happy...
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE lima beans cooked down to a thick stew and then I put some in a bowl, add S&P and butter and chopped green onions........My comfort food of choice.
Problem: Once in awhile I forget the beans and scorch them. Using a pan, you really hafta watch the water and add more as the beans cook down.
So, hmmmmmm..... do the beans in a crockpot...
I'm gonna look at crockpots tomorrow ! grinnnn

#6965 September 6th, 2006 at 08:54 AM
I used to get dried beans when we first got married and had my oldest child, and I couldn't get those beans soft to save my life..
I cooked 'em an hour and then let them sit,
I cooked 'em the night before and then cooked them in the chili, still didn't work, I GAVE UP!

I wish I would have known that trick..
Weezie..you have to soak them overnight in cold water and then boil them the next day on the stovetop. I then bake them in the oven along with all the other necessary ingredients...yum!

#6966 September 6th, 2006 at 09:45 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I tried everything they suggested on the bag..

I never baked them though...
*mine were red kidney beans, you do those in the oven after doing the other things too*

They eventually were good, when I made enough chili to eat for like 4 different meal times..
but that first meal was always hard..

Maybe someday I will get brave again and try them...

*and it's getting chili season, but I think I will still opt out for the cans still....
insert picture of chicken gremalin here!!* wink laugh

#6967 September 13th, 2006 at 10:31 PM
Here is an EASY recipe for the crockpot. Get a pack of thawed pork ribs & cut them in half.Place the ribs in the crockpot. I have a 6 qt. crockpot for my hungry boys. Pour 1/2 a bottle of brisket marinade sauce over the ribs, then 1/2 a bottle of BBQ sauce & cook on low all day. MELT IN YOUR MOUTH GOOD!!!!!!!You can also do this with a pork roast. I cook in my crockpot all the time, & love new recipes. I have never made corned beef,so I will have to try that one you have up above.

#6968 October 10th, 2006 at 09:07 AM
Sorry it took me so long to get back on this post. I made a type o, it is cooking bag not back.

I buy the McCormicks seasonings that come with the cooking bag in the package. They are usually used in the oven. First I make balls out of aluminum foil about the size of baby fist, or you can also use a glass lid turned up side down in the crock pot if you have one that fits in side of it. Pour about an inch of water in the bottom of the crock, and place your meat with season and veggies if you want in to the bag - yes the oven bag, seal it and put it in the crock pot, turn it on and leave it be for a few hours. If I use foil balls instead of the lid I make enough to keep the bag off of the bottom of the crock pot to avoid putting the food directly on the surface. In essence what you are doing is creating a rack of sorts for your crock pot. These come out tasting wonderful nice tender meat, the veggies usually stay crisp which I prefer as it is healthier that way. I rarely use the seasoning on what meat it is suggested for my favorite is the chicken seasoning on a pork roast,the drippings make the best gravy. I hope these are a bit more detailed instructions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard