This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69203 November 1st, 2006 at 10:22 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Ok I had to do it. I turned the heat on. Now my orchids dry out fast. I mean really fast. I was soaking them once a week and misting them 2 times a day. But that isn't enough anymore.

Could I soak them 2 to 3 times a week and keep to the old misting Schedule? When I soak them I leave them in a bowl of water for 20 minutes. They are in orchid mix potting soil so there isn't anything to hold the moisture.

#69204 November 1st, 2006 at 10:39 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Here's how I know when to water my orchids.

I keep a skinny bamboo skewer stuck all the way down into my orchid pot. I pull the skewer out and (don't laugh) "feel" it with my lips. If I can feel moisture on the skewer, I don't water. If the skewer feels dry, I water.

#69205 November 1st, 2006 at 10:54 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That sounds like a plan. Any ideas where I can find some bamboo skewers? A kitchen place maybe? Would regular wood work? I have some of that rough stuff in their pots for them to grow on.

#69206 November 1st, 2006 at 10:56 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Oh guess what I saw today. The one that is growing best has two little nodes growing right above where it comes out of the bark. is that some more of it's roots? Or is it trying to create more stems?

#69207 November 1st, 2006 at 11:08 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I have some of that rough stuff in their pots for them to grow on.
Probably what I have...sorta looks like bark chips. Duh

I got my skewers at Wal-Mart...100 in a pack for less than 2 bucks. They also have them at most of the "Everything Costs A Dollar" stores, and even the grocery store.

The one that is growing best has two little nodes growing right above where it comes out of the bark. is that some more of it's roots? Or is it trying to create more stems?
Hmmm...hard to say without seeing it, but you will be able to tell pretty soon. When a new stem pops out it doesn't take long to shoot right up there! thumbup

#69208 November 3rd, 2006 at 09:12 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Thanks Cindy.

#69209 November 4th, 2006 at 08:50 PM
T
T
What kind of orchid is it? Each type has different watering practices. Phals can't be allowed to dry out yet Phal type dendrobiums and Oncidiums can dry out between waterings.

Tom

#69210 November 4th, 2006 at 11:15 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Nor doesn't remember which kind one is the other is Golden Shower. I haven't let them dry out although now it is a constant fight to keep them moist. The orchid potting soil doesn't hold moisture at all and with the baseboard heating even the humidity tray isn't helping. I'll take any and all suggestions. I don't want to loose them after they have traveled all the way from Mayalasia.

#69211 November 5th, 2006 at 06:21 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Phals can't be allowed to dry out
YIKES! shk That's what mine are!
...but they grow and bloom...I haven't killed them yet! laugh

#69212 November 5th, 2006 at 06:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I pull the skewer out and (don't laugh) "feel" it with my lips.
laugh laugh laugh Sorry but you were asking for it! p

#69213 November 6th, 2006 at 09:40 AM
tkhooper,

Those little things growing out of the pot, are roots that means it needs a larger pot..
I have a plastic tray under mine and I soak it till the water runs into that .....I have moss on the top, which holds water.. That is how I bought mine....With moss on top.......Tk I think I got mey (bark charcoal ) from you.. My orchid is since been growing new wider leaves and now it looks like a straight stem is coming on, to bloom again.......I hope..

dodge
barb clp

#69214 November 6th, 2006 at 08:36 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Fantastic! I'm glad it liked the bark potting soil. I hope you can take pictures when it blooms.

#69215 November 6th, 2006 at 08:54 PM
tkhooper,

It sure does like your soil........
I will send a photo.. Even the leaves got so much larger and greener..
I know nothing about Orchids.......Just that I bought it to satisfy my hunger........An you add the soil..ha ha
What a great bunch we are on here.......thanks for helping, tk..
I will definately put a photo on here. the stem is about 4 inches now.

dodge
aka barb

Link Copied to Clipboard